Chapter 16

Pearl froze, staring at the tower ahead of her. She could hear the footsteps get closer and closer to her, as her heart raced. She knew exactly who it was. The Listener. She turned around to face him. Time's up.

"I'm Duke Taurtis, of the Listeners. You knew that though, didn't you?" He tilted his head at the girl and put out his hand. Pearl cautiously takes his hand and shakes it before pulling it back to her side. She didn't say a single word.

"I don't know how much you know... but I do know that I need to stop you," Taurtis continued.

"Stop me from what?" Pearl said, her heart racing even faster... he was on to her.

Before the listener could answer another rocket could be heard.

Grian was pacing the first floor of his base

Grian was pacing the first floor of his base... he heard that voice again. He thought that was done for! That it was Taurtis! But it couldn't of been now... the voice sounded nothing like the listener.

"Can you just tell me who you are??" The boy suddenly yelled out, hearing nothing but his echoes against the concrete walls. Grian groaned and shook his head. It was that voice that started all of this... listener watcher stuff.... Grian hated the voice for that reason... sure it was annoying on its own, but now... now it mocks him.... tells him that he knows nothing. All within one word... his own name.

Grian picked up a random shulker box from his chest monster and throws it against the wall, screaming. The contents of the box spills out all over the floor... it was a did you die box.

Pearl was running out of options

Pearl was running out of options. Taurtis got her closer and closer to the edge of the Sahara building. She was going to have to run... fly with her elytra. Pearl was awful with the fake wings though. She's crashed with them more times than she can count. Only if she had real wings... she would work a lot better with those...

But Pearl didn't have those... not here... She was going to have to trust her elytra skills.

Taurtis on the other hand seemed distracted by something else. His pointy ears twitched, like he was listening to something else. A mumble, he would describe it as. He looks back at Pearl, then towards the noise. Trying to decide which one to put his full focus on. He gripped onto his diamond sword, and steps towards Pearl. He had made his choice.

Pearl yelped as she tried to activate her elytra. What was wrong with this thing? She asked herself in her head. Finally the fake wings spread and she walks backwards off the building. But Taurtis was already too close, he grabbed her wrist and with his sword, slashed a hole into Pearl's elytra. "No flying for you today," he smirked at the girl. Then he let go of her, letting her fall.

Grian looked at the spilled content of the did you die box, quickly moving over and scooping it up and dumping it back into the shulker box

Grian looked at the spilled content of the did you die box, quickly moving over and scooping it up and dumping it back into the shulker box. He didn't even know he had one of those laying around. He thought he already sold them all, even if it took what felt like forever to sell.

They were useful! Grian thought to himself, it was so often that a hermit would die and loose literally everything! So why did he find them so hard to sell? He shook his head. Death was such a desensitized thing in Hermitcraft. There wasn't that many ways to actually perma-die. You could burn in lava, fall from a building, get murdered, and still you would wake up just fine in your bed! Xisuma did always talk about actual death death though. Called it, giving in to the void. He said there was ways of making a weapon using the powers of the void to perma-kill anyone. He didn't know how to do it himself, though. Said he read it in a book somewhere.

Pearl closed her eyes as she fell off the roof of Sahara

Pearl closed her eyes as she fell off the roof of Sahara. With the hole, her elytra couldn't catch any wind, so she was helplessly pulled down by gravity. She didn't know where she was wake up... she's never slept in Hermitcraft.. so would she just go to the world's spawn point or...? Her thoughts were cut off by the sounds of a working elytra and rockets. Then... she wasn't falling anymore.

Pearl opened her eyes and saw that she was face to face with Xisuma.

"Pearl! Are you okay?" He asked the panicked girl, flying back up to the roof of Sahara. He made eye contact with Taurtis.

"Y-Yeah, I think?" Pearl responded, still in shock about what just happened.

"What the heck, Taurtis!" The leader suddenly yelled.

"I'm doing all of you a favor!" The listener yelled back.

"And how is that?" X growled.

"Don't you see! She's not from here!"

"Well, duh! Neither are you though!"

Pearl scrambled to her feet, her heart was racing. He had to know, didn't he. Another rocket could be heard.

"What's going on here?" The new voice called out, Pearl looked over, oh great, now he's here too!

Taurtis ran over to the newly arrived Grian and grabbed his shoulders, "Listen to me, Grian, Pearl is not what she seems!"

Grian furrowed his eyebrows. He was only over here to check on Sahara's stock. He didn't expect a battle on its roof!

"What are you going on about?" The red sweatered boy questions.

Pearl was shaking, she failed. She didn't know what to do. She looked up towards the sky, and squeezed her eyes shut. She was hoping that the stars above would give her some sort of answer... but of course it didn't. She was on her own.

That was the nail in the coffin for Taurtis. He knew what Pearl was with 100% certainty. Now, he was going to tell Grian, he was going to tell everyone!

"Pearl is a Watcher!"