XIII

I found life very dull without Xavier around. We had tried texting on and off, but he was busy pretty much all day everyday and I was out all night, so things didn't really work out. The twins used to be pretty good company, but these days I found myself longing to see that buzzed head at the bottom of my garden.

I had been missing Xavier a lot, but I was also looking forward to our 'date'- his words not mine. Every time my chest ached because he was gone and it hurt to think about him, I reminded myself that I was seeing him in a few days. It sounded pathetic, since I barely knew him, but I couldn't explain what I felt.

When Friday morning rolled around, I was a ball of energy; I hadn't felt this awake in a while. I jumped in the shower, eagerly washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner. I had a pep in my step when I slid my clean clothes (that Heather had picked out for me last night) on and brushed my teeth.

I had asked Xavier what we were doing, but he refused to say, so I dressed it down with just a white long sleeved top and black jeans. I pulled on a belt, some black converse and a Santa Cruz coach jacket. I nodded at my reflection, grabbing my backpack and heading off to school.

I was excited for today. I practically speed walked all the way to school, enjoying the scenery of the tree line path. I even sent a small wave goodbye to the guy following me when I reached the school gates, who seemed alarmed that I had even noticed that he was even there. He wasn't exactly inconspicuous- he's at least six and a half feet tall.

I skipped up the steps to the common room, entering with a smile on my face.

That was all ruined when I saw the state of the common room. People were hoarding around a notice board and others were crying. They weren't slightly teary, but absolute balling their eyes out; one guy was hysterical, absolutely unconsolable. What the hell did I just walk into?

I spotted my friends in our usual spot and walked around all of the commotion, dropping down onto the sofa to find out what's going on. My group had bleak expressions slapped on their face too, but none of them were crying like some others were.

"What have I missed?" I whispered, trying to keep my voice down to be respectful.

"A girl in year twelve died." Ava muttered, sighing.

"What? How?" I gasped, leaning in for answers.

"Attacked in the woods." Heather spat, "Come with me."

She pulled me out of my seat and dragged me out of the common room, down the fire escape stairs. I was wondering what was going on and why Heather was so angry; I hadn't ever seen her seething with pure hate before.

"The girl that was attacked worked for your precious Xavier. He's been protecting you for weeks, so he clearly knew about something dangerous in this town. If he knew, why didn't he protect her? It seems fishy to me- I don't trust him." Heather hissed, "You'd be stupid to go on this date, you'd be alone with that guy! With everything going on, I don't think it's smart- what if he's responsible?"

I was left opening and closing my mouth like a fish out of water. I wasn't sure what to say. Xavier was tied up in some pretty serious accusations right now. I can't deny what she's saying makes logical sense. The feeling in my chest was screaming at me to not listen to her, but it was undeniably dangerous to get involved with whatever is happening there.

As much as I trust Xavier, I was purely going on an innate feeling. I knew next to nothing about him and I certainly couldn't vouch for him with material evidence- I only had a feeling. It wasn't looking so good.

"You really think he's involved?" I finally whispered, my heart aching as I said it.

"I do." She stated confidently, "Even if he's not responsible, it's too convenient that he claims he's protecting you from something dangerous and then this happens."