XXVII

I sat in Xavier's kitchen, eating my dinner before it went cold. Xavier wasn't here because he had pack business to attend to, so I was all alone. The dishes were all cleared up other than the one I was eating from and I had actually completed all of my homework for once. Thus, it was looking like I had absolutely nothing to do with my evening. 

My head felt pretty light and my eyes stung from tiredness, but I was used to it. I still hadn't slept, so I was really pushing it now. I spent most of my evenings at Xavier's alone like this, since I didn't sleep and he, of course, did. Except, every night he would take some time before bed to have a conversation with me on the balcony. It was my favourite part of every night- not that I would tell him that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I was grateful that Xavier was letting me stay here, but I longed to go out like I used to. Obviously, I couldn't do that anymore- not with Jude on the loose. I was having to find other ways to entertain myself, so it was handy that Xavier also had a Netflix subscription. 

I washed up my bowl and dropped onto the sofa, staring up at the high ceiling. Xavier had only left a few hours ago, but I already missed him. Clearly, the mate bond was to blame. When Xavier was here, I was craving his touch and when he wasn't, I was still craving his touch- it's a lose, lose situation for me. I just couldn't get him off my mind.

I pulled out my phone, playing around on a few apps before I caved and decided to just text him. 

'Hey, how's the meeting?' -Me

I didn't have to wait long for his reply, per usual. Is he this quick of a replier to everyone or is it just for me? It seems as if he's always on his phone, but surely that's not the case? 

'Boring. Safe to presume that you're missing me too right now?' -Stalker

I blushed; he was right about that. Per usual, I had a million questions- did he miss me more than usual now? Or just a normal amount? Why could I feel it too? Was it a mate thing? The answers to those questions were bound to only confuse me more, so I just went with it. 

'Maybe. Maybe not.' -Me

'That's a yes. I'll be back in ten.' -Stalker

My mouth dropped open at that. He was coming home now? I hadn't expected him to drop everything just to come see me because I was bored and missed him. Knowing Xavier, trying to talk him out of t would be fruitless, so I guess he's coming back now.

Rolling off of the sofa, I dashed into the kitchen to take out the leftovers from dinner. Warming them up didn't take very long, but it was even less time before Xavier was flinging open the front door. 

"I didn't mean for you to come back!" I protested the moment he walked in, which he unsurprisingly ignored. 

"I've worked all day and all evening every day this week; I deserve a break." Xavier shrugged, kicking off his shoes.

"You're sure it won't upset the elders?" I frowned, worried about what they would think. 

"You think they're at the meeting? Old pricks would never miss out on their beauty sleep for the pack and Noah's not a snitch." Xavier joked, dumping his coat on the sofa as he crossed the room. 

I didn't have time to reply before he was wrapping his arms around me tightly, breathing in my scent as he cuddled me. I relaxed into the hug, smiling slightly at the comforting vibrations. 

"Plus, Kodiak really missed you." Xavier whispered, burying his nose in my hair, "It's hard to only see you in passing when the whole house smells like you."