XXIII

When I walked into the common room the next day, the atmosphere had changed yet again. No longer were they scrutinising my every move- instead, I was scrutinising theirs. I couldn't believe that these people were werewolves- they literally change into wolves! That's insane.

I gathered that Noah had spread the word that I now knew their little secret, since people were looking down as I walked past. Girls from the pack were no longer making advances or flirty looks towards me, which was a strange feeling indeed. Even if I had a girlfriend, I usually received one or two looks.

Last night Xavier had mentioned how him being the Alpha's successor meant that he was treated different growing up and I could instantly tell that I was receiving the same kind of treatment. I hadn't even been introduced to them officially yet and they were already acting like I had grown a third leg overnight.

I tried my best to ignore them, heading over to my friends. This is the first time in my life that I've ever considered my friends normal in comparison to the rest of the Sixth Form. Not everyone in the Sixth Form was in the pack, of course, but people who didn't understand were just following the crowd.

"Who did you sleep with this time? Everyone's acting like you're royalty." Mike chuckled once I got near enough that he didn't have to yell it.

"Where have you been? Nobody's heard from you since you rang Mike the night you got out of hospital." Mick questioned, "Usually you only stay away from the park when there's a new girl on the scene, so who is it?"

"So much for taking a break from dating." Oscar teased, scooting over on the sofa so that I could take a seat too.

"What can I say, I have a natural charm." I shrugged, feeling a bit bad for lying to them.

I would tell them the truth, but it's not exactly my secret to share. Therefore, I'll just have to let them think what they like for a while. I'll eventually tell them about whatever the hell's going on between Xavier and I when it's a bit more serious (a human appropriate version, no werewolves).

I noticed that Ava was keeping quiet, but that wasn't anything out of character for her on a Monday morning. She was never a morning person and considering she had a piece of unfinished homework in front of her, I could only presume that it was getting her even more down.

"Teach me your ways." Mick pleaded, but I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be a joke or not.

"Some other time- I need a fag." I announced, standing up again.

"I'll come." Heather smiled tightly, following me out of the common room and down the fire escape.

As soon as we were alone, her exaggerated smile dropped from her face and she turned to glare at me. It was quite scary; I was certainly intimidated by the quick switch of emotions, despite her small frame. She looked like she meant business and I now had nowhere to run away to.

"I don't believe your lies for a second. How long have I known you? I can smell bullshit and you reek of it." Heather chided, her glare intense, "So tell me the truth."

"I don't know what you mean." I lied through my teeth, my voice wobbling slightly.

"What happened when you got out of the hospital? How the hell did you end up in the hospital in the first place? I have so many questions about what happened; I was so worried about you, Cam." Her voice cracked, eyes tearing up.

My heart softened at that and my heart pounded. She never called me 'Cam', so I knew it must have hurt her a lot. I stepped forwards, wrapping her in a bear hug. I didn't mean to upset her- that was never my intention, but things were complicated right now. She snivelled into my shoulder, clinging to the fabric of my t.shirt like her life depended on it.