05 Becoming Prizes

Answer: 9 o'clock
Song: Piano Man
By: Billy Joel

Question: Jenny slipped something in his what kind of whiskey? No law-man was ever gonna find.

On with the story!

><><><><><><><><

I ran down the hall and into the dorm. Honestly it was more like a hallway lined with beds. It kinda looks like military barracks to be honest. On the wall opposite the beds I see a 80 some inch TV screen displaying the current rankings for the males. Along the side is a picture of each "prize" with the girl's name and pedigree.

I chuckle to myself when I see that Alpha Gavin is currently in second place. Part of me is sad because if he doesn't get first pick I may not get to fight him. The other part of me is glad because if he gets first pick I will have to fight him... don't judge me I'm conflicted. If he picks me and I beat him, awesome. If he picks me and I lose I have to be his mate, gross. If he doesn't pick me I'm in the clear... but then I'll have to fight someone else... I'm just nervous. I don't know what to expect.

I look for Bishop and see that he is currently ranked 20 out of 70 men competing this year. Not bad! Plus he still has three more tests tomorrow to boost his position his Alpha would be nuts to ignore him!

I take a seat on one of the beds and wait for the other "prizes" to get back from the party... I wonder where the other Alpha...ummm... Tobias... yea! I wonder where he was. Poppa said they would both want me and that he was better but he was a no show. Oh well it's not like I'm gonna accept him either.

Less than an hour later the other girls get back grinning and giggling like children.

"So did you meet anyone you like?" One  girl asks. A small girl blushes.

"Maybe... but I don't even know if he will be one of the winners... he is sweet tho." She looks away smiling.

"What's his name? We can check the board." The first girl says.

"Trever Adams." We all look at the board for the name. In a matter of seconds we see it third one down.

"Ya boy's a Beta! Of course he will be a winner." I tell her and she pales.

"Well no way he'll choose a runt like you then! I should know I'm from a Beta family." The rude tall girl I met first says.

"Shut it Sheila! She has every chance!" Another girl defends her still the little girl runs to the corner crying. As the girls start arguing I fallow her.

"Hi I'm Everine... you can call me EV." I say sitting next to her. She looks up then burrows her head between her knees wrapping her arms around her bent legs.

"You know most the ranking wolves I know don't care much about your rank... they want someone who can see past their rank to the man." I tell her.

"How would you know?!" She snaps.

"EV Waylon, daughter of Alpha Waylon, sister to soon to be Alpha Jason Waylon, best friend of soon to be Beta Kaden James, at your service." I bow my head slightly with a smile. Her face forms an O as she is about to apologize I stop her.

"Its fine... you know since he didn't tell you his rank I'm gonna bet he's more like my boys than miss priss over there." I nod towards Shelia. "Do you think he likes you?" I ask.

"Yea... I mean he and his Alpha were only there for like an hour but in that time he only looked at me... but I'm no one special... he'll probably pick someone stronger, prettier, smart..." she begins to ramble so I stop her.

"You are beautiful, strong, and bright... plus some males like having a mate they can protect... feeds their ego." I chuckle and she breaks a smile.

"I'm Abby by the way... and thanks. I guess we won't know until tomorrow so no point stressing anyhow. I hope to see you again EV." She says.

"You will. Sleep tight we have a big day tomorrow." As soon as I say the words they announce lights out and all the girls scramble to the beds.

¤•¤•¤•¤•¤

"Up! Up!" Someone yells waking us the next morning. "The third test is complete and you all need to begin preparing yourselves for the choosing." The voice continues.

"We have three hours before the choosing I'm not getting up yet!" I yell looking at the clock.

"After last night I doubt any male will choose you anyway!" Shelia comments.

"We can only hope!" I respond smiling at her. She huffs, as that was not her desired response, and storms off.

"I hate her!" Abby says from the bed beside me.

"She's harmless... not that I like her. I just don't care that she exists." I say and Abby laughs. "Let's see how ya boy is doin'" I say standing up.

We make our way to the rankings and see the top three are in the same order as last night. Bishop has gained three positions. Way to go Bish!

"Looks like we know who your mate will be!" I tell her and she blushes.

"Yours too. An Alpha's daughter will be first pick." Abby says.

"I don't plan on being mated today Abbs." I tell her.

"No stopping it EV. No girl gets out of the games without a mate." She responds.

"No girl has fought for it before." I say and her jaw drops. "After a female is chosen any wolf can challenge the claim in the form of combat... I'm gonna challenge whoever chooses me."

"You think you'll win?" She asks.

"That's what I've been training for... I'm not ready to be a mate... crap I just finished high school!" I say.

"I hope you win." She whispers.

Our conversation is cut short by a loud voice once again ordering us to prepare ourselves. There is a shower schedule for the three attached wash rooms. Each girl brought her own makeup and dress. I was one of the last girls to shower and I take my time. I straighten my hair and slide my white dress over my black sports bra and work out shorts. I wear trainers. No way I can fight in heels! And I'm not putting make up on either. I'm not trying to impress them. I wouldn't wear the white dress if it wasn't mandatory. With that done I come back to the main room.

Everyone is looking at the rankings in awe. The guy that was in first dropped a rank... his score hasn't changed since this morning. It's like he didn't participate in the final two challenges.

"Well the rankings are final!" The loud voice announces. "Time to meet your mates."