16 | Glamma

The doorbell rang relentlessly, waking me up from my peaceful slumber.

Ding dong. Ding dong.

Over and over and over and over.

I looked over to my alarm clock, squinting as the bright red lights beaming off of it told me the time, 7:30 a.m.

It seemed to never end, but I refused to let myself get up this early in the morning.

I picked up a pillow from my massive collection and placed it over my ear, blocking most of the sound out. The pillow didn't block the sound out good enough so I took it off my ear and rolled over to look at the ceiling.

Maybe I should answer the door. Eh, no.

I stared at the ceiling for a couple more minutes, the ringing entering my ears every two seconds. It was very obnoxious.

Finally I heard footsteps walk past my bedroom door and down the stairs towards the door.

From the door I heard a familiar voice, one I had purposely blocked from my memory.

"Oh my god, hello sweetie." I heard the snooty voice say.

Uh oh.

I stood up and walked towards my bedroom door, sticking my ear up against it to listen to the conversation happening downstairs.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" My dad asks, his voice was sort of stern.

He knew as well as I did what was going to happen if my mom were to find out she was here.

When my grandmother passed away, my mom was as devastated as I was. Everyone on my mom's and dad's side of the family got invites to the funeral, including my dad's mother. Lets just say, she didn't show up.

A month after the funeral service, we got an 'im sorry' card in the mail. It contained a $20 dollar bill and said:

-----------------------

So sorry I couldn't make it. I will be there next time, I promise.

Sincerely,
Glamma

-----------------------

It was like she completely disregarded the situation, or just didn't care. After that, I never saw that woman again, and frankly I didn't want to.

I deleted her number from my phone, blocked almost every memory of her from my mind, everytime she asked to talk to me on the phone I 'wasn't there', etc.

My mom was even more mad than me, for obvious reasons. Even my dad was mad at his own mom, and that's saying something.

And now, I had to face her once again.

"What, Glamma can't just stay at her sons house for a little while?" She asked, her posh voice was already infuriating. You could tell she was rich, it oozed from every once of her being.

"You could've given us a warning." My dad said.

She could have just stayed home all together.

"Im sorry sweetie, Glamma got a last minute meeting in a nearby town, so instead of using her lavishing riches to buy a beautiful hotel room, I decided I would come visit my dear family instead." She said.

Ah yes Glamma, show up out of nowhere after you disrespected our family and just stay the night why don't you.

I open my door very quietly and look out into the hallway. My mom stood at the end of the hallway, peeking around the corner and down the stairs. The door creaks slightly and she turns her head around towards me, shushing me.