17 | The Daffodils

I sat on Tobio's bed, waiting for him to be finished getting ready. I looked around his room, admiring all of the scenery. Many volleyball trophies and medals scattered on a bookshelf leaned against the wall, making me smile.

He really likes volleyball, and you can definitely tell. The way he looks at volleyballs, it's like it's his everything. I envy that a lot, the way he can have so much passion for one subject. It's refreshing.

He walks back into his room, shutting the door behind him. He has on an outfit, almost a uniform black color bled to each piece, hints of grey and navy too.

It looked great on him.

"Why'd you close the door?" I ask, slightly nodding towards the doorknob.

He shrugs his shoulders, "I guess because my parents are here. I assumed you didn't want to talk with them." He says quietly, I assume so they don't hear him through the walls.

I gasp and put a hand over my heart, "I have nothing against your parents."

His facial expression drops, "If they see you, they'll talk your ear off until dawn, making shopping a no-go for today. Do you want that?" He asks flatly.

"No." I say shortly with a pouty face.

He nods, "That's what I thought. Now grab your stuff, let's go."

We sneak out of his bedroom and down the stairs, I clutched my keys so they didn't jingle as we walked. Everytime we approached a corner he would peak out, then wave me through when it was 'clear'. All I did was giggle and follow along with his shenanigans.

He opens the door, ushering me out before following behind me.

I point towards the road, "Onward Sir Tobio!" I yell before marching forward.

He rolls his eyes and smiles, "You're an idiot." He says.

I gasp and slightly punch his shoulder, and we made our way.

--------------------------------------

"How does this one look?" I ask, holding a shirt up for Tobio to see.

He shrugs his shoulders, looking at it like it's the most confusing math problem he's ever seen.

"Oh come on, is it my style?" I ask, trying to pry it out of him.

He sighs, "Why are you asking me? I know nothing about fashion."

"Because, as my closest friend, I value your opinion." I smile slightly, "and I don't want to look stupid."

He looks at it again, "I don't think it looks stupid."

I smile and nod, "Okay then, I'll get this one."

Tobio grabs the shirt from my hand and walks toward the register, leaving me behind. I rush to catch up, then snatch the shirt back.

"What are you doing?" I ask, a confused look on my face.

He looked down to me, a blank expression, "I'm paying for your shirt." He said, taking the shirt back and quickly walking to the register.

He set the shirt onto the counter in front of the cashier, me rushing up behind him to object. I caught the cashiers eye, him looking to me for validation before he took any money from Tobio.

"I'm paying!" I blurt, reaching my hand out to give the cashier the money.

The eyes of the cashier dart back and forth between Tobio and I before landing on Tobio, fear striking his face. I look at the cashier blankly for a second, you could tell he was conflicted.