Chapter 7

•unedited•

"Did you tell Alex about your anger management stuff?" Hails bent down to whisper in my ear.

I just shook my head, not wanting to give an explanation.

It was now 2 pm, we still had 5 more hours left to reach.

We came to the conclusion that no one would replace anyone and hails would always be my best friend.

She was always the insecure one, from the start and the fact that we were only friends for 3 years unlike other best friends, who were together from the moment they were born, disturbed her.

But she felt bad for Alex, who had no friends here so she demanded me to sit with him. And I knew the only person whose company hailey enjoys more than me, is herself. We both did.

But she occasionally turned back to ask questions when I described my earlier encounter with Jorden.

"I'm so sad he made you call someone a bimbo" she stated with a small pout.

"He didn't make me do anything hails. It's all on me. I feel so horrible. I don't even think of her like that. It just came out if my mouth"

"He made you resort to slut shaming. Or not. Ughh I don't know"
The moment she finished, A voice came from behind,

"Guys we have been in this bus for 3 hours now and we don't even know each other. Let's introduce ourselves. Or oooo we can play a game!"
Melissa announced.

"Shut up Mel. Sit down" Jorden said as he took a sip of his beer. What the actual fuck?

It's a school trip. And it's 2 in the fucking afternoon.

"Guys come on! We should get to know each other" she said, ignoring Jorden.

"Yeah let's play something" A girl from Ohatier high said.
"What? Baby no!" The guy sitting with her apparently whispered, which came out louder than he intended.

How can people call each other baby in a relationship?

"Do you want pizza baby?" Jorden asked me as I looked for a movie to watch.

"Yes. But den! Ewwww. Never ever call me that again."

"What? I thought girls dig that name cats. But whatever you are my baby."

"Am not. Say that one more time I'll break your hand."

"That's so unfair. If I'm your daddy you're my baby" he whispered with the biggest smirk he could muster.

This must have taken him so long to come up with.

But I couldn't fight him with this look on his face.

"Whatever den. You already call me CATS which is a hideous and nonsensical name. Just don't."

"Okay cats. Sorry" he said as he came and hugged me "baby"

I chuckled at that memory.
Well, this is a progress.

"Let's play charades eh?" Mel shouted. If I didn't know any better I'd say she was drunk. Everyone knows she has the lowest capacity.

"What are we, 2?" The guy who calls people 'Baby' remarked.

"2 year olds can't even talk dumbfuck" Brad said.

"Yeah that's why they play charades. And who are you calling dumb Brad? Do I look like one of your whores?"

This made me and hails wince which went unnoticed by anyone due to their fixed attention on the, which seemed like the beginning of a tremendous yet nonsensical fight.

"Atleast I'm not a virgin in a 5 year old relationship"

I rushed to the front seat, sat beside hails while she took out her AirPods and gave one to me as we blasted Summertime sadness.

..............

"Hey, are you okay?" I opened my eyes to a beautiful pair of brown eyes.

After 3 more songs, the whole bus seemed to go quite. Well a bus full of teenagers can never go quite. But it was normal.

When I thought I could go back to having fun, the nightmare begun.

Two words.

Period cramps.

I endeavored to not scream or yell in pain. I just held my stomach and swung, front to back.

"Do you need anything?" Trey asked again, his eyes laced with concern.

What is with everyone talking to me today?

"You don't look fine Katherine."
He persisted as his eyes scanned over my lips, which were now covered with blood.

At that moment, anger rushed through me, like water rushing through a open dam. Coursing through each part of my body.

Why?

I knew this rage attack was not caused by Trey. But it was me.
"You don't know what can trigger it." I remembered my doctor's words.

Was I angry at my own body for aching so bad? My own fate? I did have experience in converting pain to anger.
That just sounded dumb.

After 3 seconds, I finally convinced myself, that in fact, I was having another rage attack.

Ignoring Treys presence, I started taking deep breaths.

I can't hit him.
I can't hit him.
I can't hit him.

I knew my mind would never hit hailey, and to release its frustration, I'll end up punching Trey. Hard.

I tried to remember everything we talked about in my anger management sessions.

"Anger cannot access my heart, for it is securely guarded by kindness"

This was my mantra.

The only thing my mother has ever taught me is being kind. The irony is hilarious.
But still. Everyone has a different target. Some tend to break things when angry. I particularly focus on hitting stuff, people.

Well punching is not exactly kind.

Everyone in my support group chose theirs from like their favorite songs, Iconic dialogues from movies; Some, quotes.

I just rearranged the words of a poetry I read in middle school.

I started repeating this mantra while Trey looked at me, like I looked at Ms. Mendes in our chemistry class when she taught us about the types of bonds. Full of confusion.

"Umm you should go. She's alright. She'll talk to you in some time. Please go" Hails literally begged him when she realized what I was doing.

As puzzled as he was, he must have realized that if the girl who never speaks, told him to do something, it ought to be serious. So he left.

And then the inevitable happened, I punched the wall separating ours and the staffs cabinet.

I punched hard.

My hand was now bleeding.
And I was smiling.