Chapter 28

The footloose chapter, my friends! Enjoy!

It's opening night tonight for Footloose, and bouncing my leg on the floor during the last period before I head off to the auditorium is all I could do to calm my nerves. I have my script in between my textbook, which is leaning against the desk and resting on my lap so Mr. Ghallen can't see that I'm not paying attention. 

The clock reads 2:28 and I swear its been 2:28 for 10 minutes. Finally, the bell rings, and I practically fly out the door to my locker. The door swings open, nearly hitting myself in the eye, and I grab my show bag crammed to the brim with shoes, extra mic tape, and enough hair gel to fill a swimming pool. There's a vocal steamer and about nine hundred cough drops, which will all be gone by the end of the run. Lara Jean runs up behind me while I'm riffling through my bag to make sure I haven't forgot everything and I jump.

"Hey!" She says. I turn around and she's standing there, holding a Starbucks cup with a teabag sticking out.  "It's a medicine ball. Margot used to drink them before the school plays. For. . . .  vocal health? Maybe?" she said with a laugh. 

I take it from her with a smile. "Thanks! You're coming tonight, right?"

"Of course. Front row, with Daddy and Kity, who might be more excited than me. My dad loves musicals, and Kity loves you, so." I smile bigger at the sentiment. 

"Do you have to go home now, or can you hang around for a bit? I'm so nervous." I ask.

"Yeah, I can."

We walk slowly to the dressing rooms in the auditorium. She says a few words, I respond. But its mainly a silence. A peaceful silence, not a silence where you have nothing to talk about, but a silence that's comfortable. Before I realize it, we're in the dressing room. Everyone's stations are labeled; with their mics in front of the little signs that I'm 100% sure were made and decorated by Alexa and Christine. I put my bag down, the dressing room is empty. Lara Jean is flipping through the costume rack and I'm plugging in my vocal humidifier. "

"Are you wearing this?" she asks, showing me a cowboy hat. "Yeah, I have to bobby pin it down now because it flew into the orchestra pit while we were dancing. It's considered a hazard now."

Lara Jean laughed. 

"Hey, I have to go. But I'll see you tonight!" She says, gathering her things. I walk her out and watch her walk to her car, then head back into the auditorium where everyone is. 

Alexa pats the chair next to her. "Come, come." She says. "Are you ready to lose your school musical virginity?" 

"I'm ready. Petrified, but ready."

"As you should. Use the adrenaline to your advantage."

I nod at Alexas wisdom. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I subtly peer open the curtain, which is frowned upon, but I do it anyway. I see Lara Jean in the front row with her family. She's looking through the playbill, pointing and talking about things with Kitty. I watch the entire lacrosse team sit down, one of them holding an over-the-top bouquet of flowers that I know were purchased as a joke for me. I laugh, I didn't think they actually would. Then I see Gen, sitting irritably in the middle-back, obviously only here out of pressure from her friends. I'm sure she'll be on her phone the whole time.  

"Places, actors, we are at places!" the stage manager calls 

"Thank you places!"

I check the mirror one last time. my mic is in place, my hair is perfectly gelled, and all the lines are stored in my head. I feel the adrenaline rushing through my body, and I know I'm ready. 

"Peter, you ready?" The stage manager asks. 

"Yeah, I am," I say. I walk out of the dressing room, and on to my spot on stage behind the curtain, and the overture plays. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The show is over, and we all run off stage. The cast jumps on top of me, cheering and yelling and patting me on the back. It couldn't have gone any better, and it seems like everyone agrees. 

Walking out into the hallway where the family and friends of castmembers were standing, Kity tackles me. "Peter!" she yells. I pick her up. "Hey, kid!" I say. "How did you manage to get past everyone?"

"I'm very small."

"Noted."

"You were so good!" She yells. Lara Jean comes up running and jumps on me as well.

"Woah, Song-Coveys on top of me, Song-Coveys on top of me!" I say laughing. "Peter, you're amazing! Where have you been hiding that?" She asks. 

Before I could respond, my mom comes up to me. I'm still holding Kity, and I could see the confusion and realization of who the tiny person I was holding was. "Peter, amazing as always. I'm so proud of you! Owen, say how proud you are of your brother!"

Owen mumbles something, only paying attention to his iPad. 

The rest of the night was a blur. Everyone is yelling and congratulating me, and at one point Lara Jean grabs my hand. It was overwhelming, but one of the best nights ever. 

Leave a vote and a comment! Stay cool!