They're real

*knock knock*

With great trepidation she moves to the door, body shaking in distress as feet settle themselves unstable on the wooden floor, deciding yet again whether or not to open the barrier separating her from the outside. By now they most definitely sensed that she's home, meaning there is no option for her to ignore the intimidating auras. If she does, then without a doubt they will break down the door.

Why are they here, she has done nothing wrong to insinuate their attention. Living far enough from the edge of their territory including a good distance away from the city. Taking care in never overstepping the invisible borders as she knew fully well it could only bring unwanted attention on her.

If only she never made the decision to move here and instead went for her other option, an island further up north were packs are less dense and intimidating. Living conditions may be bad but at least the chances of dealing with problems like these would be significantly smaller. How stupid of her.

As the knocking persists she reached out for the doorknob. Shaky fingers turning the lock before stiffly pulling the wooden door open.

-- O --

[y/n] is a twenty-four year old girl, who has lived most of her life by herself. The solidarity of the woods a comforting yet creepy home as she lived on her own for years. Escaping the dreadful truth about herself as well as others, living in a world where werewolves are no myth you read about in books or see in movies, here they are a real phenomena, lurking between mankind to keep their identity hidden.

At the young age of eight her parents were killed. Slaughtered at the hands, or more like muzzles, of werewolves, a pack to be more precisely. She was spared as she had ran away like her parents begged her to do. Running as fast as her little legs could carry her but never able to escape the inevitable doom. Werewolves are a lot faster than humans, let alone a child, and they easily caught up with her after enjoying their feast.

When the large creatures had surrounded her, all [y/n] could do was to let herself drop to the ground in fear with tears streaming down her face, begging in a small voice to be spared. Stupidly asking the bloodthirsty monsters to let her and her parents go, knowing in the back of her mind that they didn't make it. The dark red liquid dripping from the black matted muzzle an answer to her question and she felt sick. Her frail body shivering uncontrollably and paralyzed by fear as it felt like someone dropped a bucket of ice water over her fallen form.

Scared whimpers pushing their way between her sealed lips as the largest wolf approached her. Big paws heavily slamming on the dirt ground, nails scratching the surface with each slouched yet intimidating step before halting in front of the weeping girl.

Every growl and bark coming from the frightening wolves making her jerk in terror, not understanding what they meant and fearing to know their true intent. They stopped communicating, the silence of the night overtaking once again only to be filled with heavy breathing, from whom [y/n] doesn't know, it could be her or the surrounding creatures. The large wolf once again closing in on her, a head almost twice as big as hers nearing her face and she closed her tearstained eyes. Wet muzzle tilting her head, angling her so it has easier access to her slender neck.

Her whimpers growing more frantic at the hot air blown on her neck, the outline of teeth scratching her skin and she feels the pull to get up and run. Her body just won't comply with her. A loud scream tore through the calming sounds of nightlife when the beast punctured her skin, blood flowing freely from the wound and dripping on the dirt floor. She tried to push the head away with all her might but to no avail, her conscience slipping with every futile struggle. Her eyelids slowly drooping as dark overtook her, dragging her further away from the real world. A content smile on her face as [y/n] knew she would see her parents again.