Chapter 7

Anri walked home with Masaomi that day. He sure was talkative, but that made her happy. She was worried that Masaomi would change like Mikado did but he didn't. She still wished Mikado would come with them though. At first he would say something like "sorry, I have to go run some errands!" or something like that. Now, he just straight up ignores the two and avoids them completely.

"Sooo, what are you going to do the rest of the evening?" Masaomi said out of the blue.

"I don't really know yet. I don't have to study for anything and I don't have any homework" Anri responded.

"I would hang out, but I have some stuff to do tonight. Maybe me and you could hang out one night! Boy that would be fun" Masaomi stated, starting to ramble on about what they would do.

Anri just walked quietly as he talked. She was used to Masaomi and Mikado talking about something together as she walked besides them.

"You ok Anri?" Masaomi said after realizing she wasn't paying attention.

Anri brought her attention back to the boy. "Yes, I'm fine. I'm sorry" she responded.

The two walked in silence again for a few minutes until Masaomi asked "do you ever miss Mikado?"

Anri hesitated before responding "of course I do. How could I not?"

"I wonder what he is doing right now" Masaomi muttered.

Anri thought about that all the time. Where was he? What was he doing? She just told herself he was in a safe place but was he really? Who knows.

"Are you mad at me?" Masaomi randomly asked.

Anri looked up at him with a slightly shocked expression. "Why would I be mad at you?" She asked.

"Because, I pushed you and Mikado away. If I didn't then maybe our little trio wouldn't of been fucked up like it is now" he stated blankly.

Anri looked at him in surprise. "I'm not mad or upset! You wanted time to yourself and that's fine. I don't mind being just with you, I mean at least we have each other right?" She said quickly.

Masaomi just nodded, sadness staring to cloud his eyes.

Anri looked down at her feet again. She didn't like moments like this. They weren't exactly awkward but more upsetting. She didn't want Masaomi or Mikado to ever feel hurt.

"Hey, I'm fine. Ok? I just get more emotional over things. That's all. I screwed myself up, and that's fine. If you ever think I'm mad at you for anything, I'm not" he stated.

Anri didn't say anything. She felt bad for the boy, but there wasn't much she could do. "Is there anything I can do to help?" Maybe if she asked, then maybe should could help him.

"Well, I guess just act like this is our new normal. I get that your sad about Mikado and stuff but we need to carry on. Mikado is different now and we need to go on without him" he responded, looking at his feet.

Anri just stopped walking and Masaomi looked back at her.

"Did I make you upset? Damn it I screwed up, sorry" he said, starting to apologize.

"No, your right. We shouldn't rely on Mikado to keep our friendship. We've been hanging onto the possibility of him coming back for too long" she said, looking eye to eye with him.

Masaomi let out a small smile. "One more thing, lets stay together as much as possible. No more abandoning each other. No more secrets. Got it?"

Anri went up and awkwardly hugged the boy. "Deal" she said after she let go of him.

Masaomi smiled at her. "Alright then! Lets get you home before the hooligans of the night come out."

Anri giggled at him and they both started making their way towards her place. Mikado would usually walk her home, but Masaomi would always insist in walking her home, so it became a normal routine for the two. Anri didn't feel the heaviness on her chest she had for so long. It made her feel better and she felt as though she could fully trust Masaomi. She could tell he looked more relieved and happier too.

"Ok then! We have made it to your destination! Tips are greatly appreciated" Masaomi announced with a stupid grin.

Anri smiled at him. "Thank you so much Masaomi. I'll see you tomorrow, ok?"

Masaomi nodded at her. "Got it! See ya Anri!" He yelled as he ran down the stairs.

Anri smiled at him and locked her door. For the first time in awhile, she walked into her house feeling happy. She didn't need Mikado, but the worry that he could be in danger still crept back into her head. She ignored it though. She knew that tomorrow would be fine, and all that mattered was that she still had someone on her side.