NINE ◇ Changeling

CHAPTER 9 ◇ CHANGELING

// Because I have no life and am terrified of a placement test. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow. 

◆ ◇ ◇

◇ ◆ ◇

◇ ◆ ◇

AS JUNO, ERZA, AND THE S-CLASS QUEST THIEVES WERE NEARING THE GUILD HALL, the female Dreyar skipped on ahead and kicked the door open, causing it slam loudly. "Where's Gramps? We captured all the idiots alive."

"You're finally back from your island getaway. So how was it? Did you have fun?" MiraJane asked with a genuine smile on her lips and an almost teasing spark in her eyes.

"It was work, not a vacation." Erza reminded her with a fierce glare. 

"Uh, MiraJane, I wouldn't joke with her right now." Lucy warned the white-haired beauty. A smile twitched at Juno's lips hearing the celestial wizard's concern. Clearly, she didn't understand how Mira and Erza had been rivals back in the day. MiraJane could handle any glare that Erza threw her way and vice-versa.

"Where is Makarov?" Erza demanded, looking to any guild member's present for information.

"He went out of town for some last-minute council meeting or something like that. He's been gone since yesterday." Macao answered, and a collective sigh of relief came from each of the rule breakers.

"Well, that was a close one." Natsu said with a relieved smile.

"Yes, we won't have to deal with that until Gramps gets back." Gray added.

"Oh thank goodness! I wasn't ready to stare into the face of death. I've still got eight more lives." Happy cheered with tears comedically streaming down his face.

"I can't stand it anymore! You guys are really freaking me out! How's he gonna punish us? I can't die now. I'm still young and I have so much to look forward to." Lucy exclaimed in a panic.

"All of you, shut up!" Erza commanded, receiving instant quiet in response. Juno remained the only one who didn't flinch back, and that due mainly to the unsettling feeling of goosebumps on her arms. She shivered and felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. 

"Well this isn't good." She muttered to herself and rubbed futilely at her arms. Someone was going to do something incredibly stupid. But now that she was back at the guild with everyone, it was impossible to tell who and when. Looking to the Mira she asked, "Do you know when he'll be back?"

"No, but I would imagine he'll come back any time now." She answered before noticing the way she rubbed her arms. "Are you okay?"

Juno smiled in reassurance as Erza addressed the guilty party about not taking any jobs until Makarov returned. "I'm fine. Just a feeling." Mira's eyes widened a bit, as did Macao and Wakaba's.