FOURTEEN ◆ To Keep from Seeing Those Tears

CHAPTER 14 ◆ TO KEEP FROM SEEING THOSE TEARS

◆ ◇ ◇

◇ ◆ ◇

◇ ◆ ◇

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN SOMETHING'S HAPPENED TO THE MASTER?" Juno questioned, willing her voice not to tremble. "Mira Jane, what's going on? What happened to Gramps?"

"It was Phantom Lord, they wrecked our guild hall the other night." Mira answered solemnly. "No one was hurt and Master chose not to retaliate."

"That makes sense, conflict between guilds is forbidden by the Magic Council." Hibiki reasoned quietly from beside Juno.

"Yes, but this morning, we found Levy, Jet, and Droy in Magnolia Park." Mira choked on a sob, covering her mouth with her hand. "They were... they were pinned to the tree, Juno, it was awful."

Juno inhaled a shaky breath, closing her eyes as she thought about Team Shadowgear. They didn't deserve that kind of beating. When Juno opened her eyes again, they held anger remarkably similar to Makarov's, Mira noticed.

"Master declared war and confronted Phantom's branch in Oak Town, but..."

"But?"

"His magic was completely drained. He's with Porlyusica now in critical condition." Mira Jane revealed with a devastated look. 

Juno's eyes widened. "Did you say drained?"

"From what Erza told me, they couldn't sense any magic power coming from his body. I'm so sorry, Juno." Mira informed.

"You're not the one who needs to be sorry, Mira. Aria of the Great Sky from the Element Four is the one who's gonna pay. His airspace magic drains and scatters a wizard's magic to the winds to dissipate." Juno explained before desperation seeped into her voice. "Please tell me someone was able to gather Gramps' magic power. Please, Mira."

"I—I... I don't know." Mira admitted shamefully. Juno's posture slumped in defeat and she leaned forward resting her elbows on her knees while burying her face in her hands, a quiet sob escaping her lips.

"Hey, hey, Juno, it's going to be all right. Your grandfather is one of the Ten Wizard Saints, he'll pull through, I'm sure of it." Hibiki told the blonde, putting a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Juno took a deep breath before raising her head. "Why are they doing this? Do we at least know that much?" 

"They're after Lucy." Mira replied.

"Jude Heartfilia." Juno realized. "He hired them to get her back, didn't he?" Mira nodded, slightly confused by Juno's apparent knowledge but she didn't say anything.  "Laxus and Mystogan?" Juno inquired

"Cana's still trying to reach Mystogan. And Laxus..." Mira trailed off. "I don't think he's going to help us anytime soon."

Juno sighed. "Of course he's not. I'm on my way back from Blue Pegasus, I'll be there to help soon. In the meantime, prepare the safe house in town in case we need to move Lucy there. Try to disguise her scent too. Black Steel is a dragon slayer, he'll have enhanced senses like Natsu."