•Chapter 17•

*****

*****

Amidst the despair and anguish, the rain refused to relent. Even with my eyes clenched shut and tears streaming down my face, I couldn't escape the relentless drumming of raindrops on the car roof.

It felt as if the rain was taunting me, a cruel reminder of the storm raging within. How could I explain the heavy downpour every time I found myself in trouble?

Each raindrop sent a shiver of panic through me.

"Such a disgrace," one of the police officers hissed. "Stealing your fellow woman's ring to spite her, kai."

Trapped between their fury, I felt suffocated as they crowded me in the backseat of the car.

The stench inside the vehicle assaulted my senses, making it hard to breathe. The car, with its battered exterior and faded paint, seemed to mirror the dilapidated state of my hopes.

It was chilling how quickly they turned cold, hurling insults despite my already overwhelming shame.

Whenever I dared to peek at their hardened faces, fear gnawed at me. What awaited me in jail? And if Bianca escalated the case, how would I survive prison?

The uncertainty loomed over me like a dark cloud, threatening to consume me whole.

*****"Kofi, stop it! You're hurting me!" Bianca's cry pierced the air as she wrestled her arm from his grasp

*****
"Kofi, stop it! You're hurting me!" Bianca's cry pierced the air as she wrestled her arm from his grasp.

He dragged her forcefully from the gate all the way back to their room. Despite her silent triumph on the journey home, she couldn't shake the feeling of dread that hung over her.

"You framed her! How could you?" His voice thundered as he pushed her onto the bed, slamming the door shut behind him.

"What do you mean I framed her? Are you accusing me of orchestrating this?" Bianca demanded, her fingers tracing the red marks he had left on her skin. "You hurt me because of that thief, Kofi? Really?"

"Enough, Bianca, enough!" His voice echoed in the small room.

"Was it wrong that I wanted to be kind to her? I thought it might make Henry happy. What reason would I have to do something so awful? Is that really how you see me?" Tears streamed down Bianca's face, each one a stab at Kofi's conscience.