Chapter 18

Olivia's POV

I inhale a deep breath before reaching my hand up to knock on the door the same way I've done so many times before this.

But there's no blue eyed popstar meeting me like usual. No exhausted looking Conor Maynard greeting me with a drunken kiss like he'd done each and every time this far.

Silence, my own breaths almost echoing in the empty hallway as I stare at the door in front of me that still hasn't been opened.

Another knock and still no answer and so I simply take matters into my own hands and press down the door handle, releasing a sigh of relief when I realise it's unlocked.

"Hello?!"

I take a few steps into the open hallway, searching for any signs of life in the overall dead quiet flat.

He can not have gone out in the bare twenty it's been since he called, can he?

Yet then it's Conor we're talking about, a man I still after a month's time find nothing but peculiar in more ways than I'll ever be able to explain.

"Conor?!"

I begin the walk up the stairs to Conor's bedroom, the only room I'd seen of the three bedroom apartment he apparently shared with his brother and friend.

"Upstairs!"

The rather late response makes me chuckle, watching him from the doorway without him having noticed I'm there.

He's focused on his laptop, his eyes darting rapidly across the screen he's got in front of him on the desk.

And then I notice the headphones covering his ears, the pure reason to why I'm stood right here in this very moment and not down in the hall with my arms around his neck.

"Hello you"

Turning his head I immediately spot the bloodshot eyes I've gotten used to by now, his lips turning into a soft smile as he sees me.

"Come listen"

He pats his thigh and I quickly drop my bag and phone down at the end of his bed before taking a seat in his lap, letting him put the headphones over my head.

And it's only now that I notice the video he's got on his screen, the soft playing of a piano stealing all of my attention as he presses play.

I look back over my shoulder only for him to nod, turning my head back so that I watch every single second of the video he's worked on.

Yet by the first line the tears are forming in my eyes, just from the pure emotion in his voice.

I've seen a lot of his covers by now but this one just hits differently. It's like he's put every little ounce of his pain into this cover, a cover of a song that I'd previously put down as a love song now carrying a completely different meaning.

The video shifts and suddenly there's another guy singing, replacing Conor's soft vocals with a more generic sound, the tears I'd shed only seconds later drying up quickly.

I watch the black screen in silence as I attempt to come up with something to say but I simply can't.

"Wow-"

He carefully takes the headphones off of my head, placing them down on the desk without saying a single word.

"You like it?"

His voice is a mere whisper and I quickly turn around to face him, his steel blue eyes meeting mine instantly.

"It's beautiful Conor"

I mirror his smile, resting my forehead against his and moving my hand up to his unshaved cheek, the small amount of stubble tickling my palm.

And then without warning does he attach his lips to mine, my fingers moving up into his hair as he pulls me closer by my hips.

Yet it's not a hungry and desperate kiss like I'd gotten used to when it came to him, no it's calm, filled with warmth and passion and I soon realise that the usual bitter taste of alcohol isn't there, lingering in the back of my throat like it usually did.

For once Conor Maynard isn't drunk.

I pull away, his lips red and swollen from the kiss we'd just shared and that's when I notice it, the warmth growing inside of me, the butterflies dancing around in my tummy. I want this, I want him forever.

"Lía?"

Shaking my head I shift my gaze up to his eyes, a light chuckle escaping through his lips when we get eye contact.

"There you are"

I blush and it's clear that he can tell, my makeup free face making it very obvious.

"Sorry"

He shakes his head, letting his hand move up underneath the top I've got on, lightly running his fingers up and down my back where I'm sat in his lap.

"Is it okay that I call you that by the way?"

Another whisper as I slowly run my thumb underneath his left eye, avoiding the small birthmark whilst moving my way to the
corner of his eye.

"What?"

His nose crinkles as he laughs and it's undoubtedly the cutest thing I've ever seen.

"Is it okay that I call you Lía?"

Lía, I think about it. I'd always been a Livvy or Liv, Li occasionally but never Lía.

"Of course"

I smile back at him, taking in his features that lay before me. The ocean blue eyes, the freckles that had gotten darker during the time I've known him, his messy curls and the cutest little button nose. Whoever ends up marrying him will forever be the luckiest person walking this earth.

"I'm so glad I have you"

It's the truth, I know it is and it makes the smile on my lips grow even bigger than it is already.

"You know you can talk to me, right? About absolutely anything"

He nods, a sense of seriousness washing over him for a second. Conor isn't a serious person, or at least I haven't seen that side of him yet. So to see his lips straighten out as he slowly nods his head is a big change from the so usually very immature popstar.

"I wish I could, I really wish I could but right now you are the only positive thing in my life, Olivia. You are the only one who's able to make me forget about my shitty life and I want to keep it that way. I want the time I spend with you to be happy, not lined with more bad memories and pain. Please just know that I'm forever thankful for the time you keep wasting on someone as boring as me"

It's almost enough to make me cry, knowing just how important it is to speak your mind when you're in his position. But I can't force him, only reassure him that of he ever decides to change his mind I'll be there to listen, no matter what time.

"Okay"

I stare into his eyes, only now noticing the large bags he's got beneath them. He is exhausted and right now I decide that I'm not going to leave until he falls asleep tonight. It doesn't matter if I'm late to work tomorrow, in this case his well-being is more important.