3: The Tower

Hiko woke up with a fresh start. He and Washi had stayed in a modest inn which was free for travelers. He had a cup of tea before heading out to explore the village while Washi was still asleep. It was early in the morning and barely anyone was out in the streets which made Hiko grin while strutting through the almost empty streets. 

It had been the first time in a few days that Hiko had gotten some alone time, which he loved greatly. He made his way to the village gate which still did not bear the banner of Kuvira's empire. Beside the village gate was an extremely tall tower. Hiko looked around him before stretching his fingers. He climbed up the tower, his swords jiggling from its scabbard. When he arrived at the top, his breath was taken away by the amazing view of the sunrise. 

Sighing with relief he sat down and let his legs dangle off the platform. 

As the sun rose, the sky was slowly being filled with vibrant colors he rarely got to see since most of the time he saw green and brown. Grinning, he pulled his legs back up and crossed them together. He had missed meditating a lot. 

Since he came to the Earth Kingdom he had stopped meditating because of how much he moved around. Now was the perfect time to stop and meditate. He was on his way to getting his Lightningbending back with the help of Korra. It made him excited and happy but at the same time, he was nervous and anxious. 

What if it didn't work? 

What if his wounds were deeper than any kind that even the Avatar wouldn't be able to do anything about it? 

His excitement disappeared completely now, he was fidgeting his fingers and his foot was twitching. He wasn't getting his Lightningbending back, he knew it. This journey was all for nothing. 

Hiko snapped his eyes back open, the sunrise greeting him. But now, it didn't seem to have an effect on him. He stood up and looked down. 

It was at least a fifty-foot drop.  

Why should he continue on a pointless journey? 

What was the point of exerting all this effort for nothing? 

He slowly lifted his foot and dangled it over the edge. His breathing stopped and he closed his eyes, a tear flowing down on the side of his face. All he had to do now was to put his weight on the dangling foot. 

ROAR. 

Hiko flinched, his breathing had continued and his eyes opened. He looked down, his foot was over the edge of a fifty-foot platform. Breathing heavily, he retracted his foot and fell back on the platform.

"What are you doing here Hiko?" The sound of fluttering wings made its way to Hiko's ears before hearing Washi's voice.

"I- was just enjoying the view," Hiko said, wiping his face with his sleeves.

"It is a beautiful view." Washi landed beside Hiko.

"I don't think I want to go to the South Pole," Hiko muttered.

"What? Don't you want to get your Lightningbending back?"

"I do. But, this isn't something Korra will be able to restore. I have to do it myself." Hiko stood up and looked at Washi, waiting for his response.

"Well, if you think that's the right thing to do. Then I'll help you in any way I can." Washi lowered his head lightly.

"Thank you. Let's get down from here." Hiko smiled before climbing down the tower.

A crowd of people was gathered around the village gate. Hiko couldn't see what was going on from his angle so he climbed down faster. When he got down, he noticed two large horns sticking out of the crowd.