31: Let Go

Hiko trudged to the clan gate. His head was spinning after what he had done. His hands were still bloody and shaking. The only thing keeping him awake was the occasional caw of Sora beside him. The Raven Eagle flew beside his master. It was already dark, but the city still seemed awake. There were still a lot of people walking up and down the streets, being showered by the light coming from the streetlights. Hiko looked to his right and saw a huge map of the city, he dragged himself to it and squinted his eyes. There was a public restroom nearby. Just one block away. He nodded and looked down at his hands. He covered them with his coat and started walking down the street. People were staring at him as he walked by. Was his hands still visible?

"Hey!" A voice shouted from behind. Oh crap. He pulled out one hand and got ready to zap and run. He turned around to see a man holding a camera. "You're Hiko, right?" The man asked enthusiastically.

"No..."

"Come on! No need to be shy! I just need one picture of you!" The man held up a finger. Hiko pulled his hand back again."Preferrably without the Raven Eagle." Sora cawed with annoyance before flying away.

"Fine." He muttered. The man smiled widely and pulled up his camera.

"Say cheese!" The man said.

"Cheese?" Hiko asked, the camera made a snap sound and a flash came out of a small light on top of the lens, which caught Hiko off guard.

"Thank you so much!" The man said before jogging away.

"What the hell was that?" Hiko muttered to himself as he rubbed his eyes. He turned around and began walking again. The restroom sign was now just up ahead. He walked a little bit faster, desperate to wash some of the blood off. When he reached it he went to the left door which had a sign for male on it. He made his way to the sink and immediately began washing his hands, the water acquiring a light red hue as the blood washed off.

"What the hell?" A voice said from Hiko's side. His head snapped to his left and he saw a tall, bearded man stare at Hiko's hands.

"I got cut at the forest. I tripped." Hiko explained.

"Are you sure?" The man asked.

Hiko rubbed his hands and showed the man a fresh scar across his hand. The man mouthed an 'oh' and backed off. "You look weirdly familiar."

"Whatever, dude." Hiko muttered.

After leaving the restroom, Hiko continued walking, looking occasionally at the different buildings that decorated the street. His legs still ached after tripping on a huge tree root that sticked out of the forest floor. He had to find a place to rest. After a few minutes of walking, he saw a hotel. "I wonder if they'll let you in buddy." He talked to Sora, who cawed in reply. Hiko walked up to the glass door and saw a sign saying no pets allowed. "I guess not." Sora cawed and gently rubbed his face against Hiko's before flying away. Hiko stepped inside the hotel which looked grandeur compared to the humble inns he was used to staying in. He walked up to the front desk and asked for one room.

"That'll be 1,000 yuans sir." The lady said politely. Hiko's jaw dropped slightly. He removed his bag from his back and scuffled around his belongings, finding only a little bit of spare change in his wallet.

"I don't have money."

The woman smiled awkwardly. "I'm sorry." She said politely. Hiko started walking back to he glass door.

"Hey!"

Hiko looked back and saw the man with the camera earlier. The man waddled on over to Hiko and led him back to the front desk. "This young man wants a room for one."

"Will you be paying sir?" The lady asked.

"Of course! The man pulled out his wallet and pulled out a thick wad of money. "Bump it up to the exclusive suite." The man said to the lady who took the money and handed a key to Hiko.

"Enjoy your stay, sir." The lady bowed.

"Wow, thank you!" Hiko's eyes widened.

"It's no problem! That's for saving the clan. And the exclusive suite is for the picture. I have to go but, enjoy your stay as much as you can." The man tipped his hat before walking out.

"Where exactly is my room?" Hiko asked the lady.

"Here it is, sir." The lady gestured at the door with a number '423' on it. "Enjoy your stay." The lady said politely before walking off.

Hiko watched as she walked away. He pulled out the key given to him and inserted it to the keyhole. He pushed it open and revealed a room much bigger than any he'd ever been in. There was a king-sized bed and a radio beside it. At the end of the room was a sliding door that let the city lights be visible from the room. Hiko walked to it and slid open the door, the view was extraordinary, the tall magnificent towers cemented the idea that this was in fact, a metropolis. Perhaps it was because it was his home or because it simply looked more beautiful, but Hiko felt more affection toward Washi city than Republic city. He suddenly didn't feel alone anymore, unlike the three years he spent in Republic City. But of course, that all changed when he became Korra's teacher. He met Jinora, and then he met Jianjun...

Hiko sighed and sat on the bed. He had to rest.

"Hiko..." A pained voice rang through Hiko's ears. "Why..."

"Did you let Hima get away..." The voice continued.

"Why... why... WHY!"

Hiko sat up straight from his bed, a thin layer of sweat covered his face. He wiped it and noticed he had also wiped his eyes. Tears were flowing continously.