8: Reconciliation

(A LITTLE NSFW WARNING!)

Hiko buried his face in his knees, tears staining his pants. He knew he'd cry once he started talking about Junko, and he knew he probably wouldn't be able to stop. Hiko sniffled and sobbed trying to stop himself from crying.

"This is disgusting." He said groggily as he wiped his eyes with his sleeves forcefully.

"Hiko..." Suruki approached Hiko who rushed to stop his crying.

"What?" He said.

"May I sit with you?" Hiko looked away as his mother sat down beside him on the stairs of the inn they were staying in. "I know you've gone through so much for someone so young..."

"You know?! You don't! You've been absent for some of the most important years in my life and all you can say is 'I know'?!" Hiko's voice shook.

"I'm saying you're... just like your dad." Hiko's faint sobbing stopped, he looked to his mother who had a somber expression on her face. "He had such a tough childhood and yet he still grew up to be so loving and warm and sweet. When he... died, I was so broken. I felt so empty, I had just lost the love of my life. I was so lost and it made me a coward. I was such a coward, I left my only son to fend for himself." Hiko listened as his mother opened up to him. He had stopped sobbing but only because he couldn't breathe properly. "I'm so sorry Hiko. I never should have left you. You've gone through so much and I should have been there for you. Can you forgive me?"

Hiko looked down on his feet, thinking.

"I can't forget what you did to me. I never will. But, dad wouldn't want us to fight, wouldn't he?" Hiko looked up and leaned his head on his mother shoulder who carressed him as he did so. "For a long time I've felt... so alone." Hiko whispered.

"I know, and I'm sorry." His mom kissed him gently on his cheek just before a tear rolled on it. "I want to tell you a story." Hiko hummed.

"Your father and I were very young when we met. It was at a junior actors group for our school and we played the exact same play I did earlier. He was Shu and I was Oma. Long story short, I fell in love with him after we had kissed in the final scene." Hiko chuckled.

"I know that. Dad said he fell in love with you as well."

A few moments passed, they were both staring out into the empty dark streets of the village. Hiko had finally felt as if he wasn't alone.

"Sweetie, you should stay with us for a few days. I'd be interested to hear about your travels." Suruki offered.

"That would be great but, I have to leave tomorrow. I still have to train with Washi."

"You're with Washi?! Oh, that's great! You're in good hands son!" She hugged him tighter. "You can stay here for the night. I don't want you sleeping on the streets." Suruki stood up and offered Hiko to come inside.

"Wait. Can you promise me something?" Suruki hummed. "Go back to the village. Well, it's probably not a village anymore since Jianjun becam Clan Head but I want you to go back so that when I return, you'll be there." Hiko pleaded, he knew it was a long shot but he wanted his mother to be there when he was finally better.

"I will, Hiko. I promise." Suruki came to Hiko and placed her hands on his shoulder to lead him into the inn. Everything in Hiko's life was finally going well for once. Tomorrow he was gonna Lightningbend again and when he comes back to the clan, he'll have his mom and everyone there waiting for him. Nothing could possibly ruin this.

"Why yes of course. We'll still be allied with the Fire Nation while being independent." Jianjun said nervously as he was being bombarded with more questions. Sighing, he pointed at another over enthusiastic journalist.

"Will you still be Clan Head once we turn into a nation?" The journalist asked. Jianjun shifted uncomfortably in his podium.

"Uhhhh..."

"Okay everyone! Unfortunately that is all the time Clan Head Jianjun has." Yuri walked to the stage and grabbed Jianjun as fast as she could before he was trampled by the journalists. She led him to his room where he immediately sat on the bed with his head on his hands.

"You know you can chose to not answer some questions right?" Yuri asked while Jianjun nodded. She sat next to him on his bed while carressing his back. "You don't have anymore paperwork for today." She said seductively.

"What do you mean?" Jianjun lifted his head.

"I'm saying we could use a little private time." She smirked.

"I guess we do." Jianjun smiled before Yuri leaned into him with a kiss. Jianjun leaned into it even more, pushing Yuri onto his bed making her moan. Just as Jianjun was about to take off his shirt, a knock interrupted them. Yuri groaned in annoyance as she struggled to keep Jianjun on her.

"Yu-ri, I hav- to answer tha-" Yuri let Jianjun go, pouting as she did so. The young Clan Head got up hastily and made his way to the door while straightening his shirt.

The knock continued, this time a little bit stronger.

"Yeah, yeah." Jianjun mumbled under his breath as he pulled the door open.

"Clan Head." The small man bowed deeply, Jianjun rolled his eyes. "Fire Lord Izumi is on the radio. She awaits your presence." Jianjun nodded, massaging the bridge of his nose. The man scuffled away followed by Jianjun. The young man walked as straight as he could, as he passed by a few guards who bowed as he passed. He tried to mimick how Izumi walked as he thought about why she was calling him in the first place. They reached the red wooden door at the end of the hallway, the man opened it and stepped aside to let Jianjun in. Inside the room was a small radio station and a chair beside it. Jianjun sat on the rickety chair and brought it closer to the radio. He cleared his throat before bringing the radio to his mouth.

"Fire Lord Izumi! To what do I owe the pleasure?" Jianjun said in a cheery voice.

"Clan Head Jianjun, I'm glad you could spare some time to talk with me about rather important bussiness." Jianjun nodded and forgot Izumi could not see him.

"Yes, what is this important business anyway?"

"Well, you must know about Kuvira and her expedition to reunite the Earth Kingdom. You see the other world leaders are calling for a meeting in Republic City to discuss our course of action as President Raiko is worried Kuvira will do something aggressive." Jianjun nodded as she spoke in her usual business-like voice. When she had finished he closed his eyes and repeated everything she said in his head.

"Okay, so why did you tell me that?"

"Wasn't I clear? I said the world leaders. That includes you Clan Head." Jianjun's eyes widened.

"Me? In Republic City? In a meeting? With the world leaders?"

"Yes, I hope you can find time to attend. I will send you the details of the meeting later. The rest of us will be waiting for you." Izumi hung up, leaving Jianjun speechless.

"So, just go! I'm sure they'd love for you to be there. A young face amongst a pile of old saggy people. You must feel proud." Jianjun paced around the room as Yuri talked. He loved the fact he had been invited but dreaded the thought of actually going.

"I don't know Yuri. I mean what would I do there anyway?"

She got up from the bed and walked to Jianjun, hugging him from behind. "They want you there Jianjun. And I'm sure you'll nail it." He smiled before tackling Yuri into the bed, making her laugh.