18: Fire

Katsumi walked with Minoru, their hands intertwined with one another.

"Just to be clear, you don't have to do this if you don't want to." Minoru said.

"I'm sure about this. And you were the one who talked me into it."

"I didn't talk you into it." He chuckled nervously. "We're here." They walked to the wooden platform, the rope already over the edge.

"You want me to help you down?" Minoru asked. Katsumi stared at the rope for a while before answering.

"Sure." She grinned.

"May I ask you something?" Hiko asked Yata who was still healing his leg.

"Yeah?"

"How did you find yourself in Washi? You're a waterbender."

"Well, when Minoru's parents died I had to help him out since I was his only family left. Her mother was my sister and when I heard she died during a mission I immediately went here to raise Minoru myself."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. The past is the past. Your leg looks a little bit better now. Why don't you try standing up?"

Hiko nodded before standing up, his leg was shaking but he was able to stand up straight.

"That's good. You can sit down again."

He groaned in relief as he sat back down on the bench. When he lifted his head up he saw Minoru and Katsumi climb down the rope together. With a thump, they reached the floor and Katsumi immediately started walking to Hiko. He prepared himself for another punch to the face but instead, she knelt down to his level and hugged him.

"I thought you were angry with me?" Hiko said.

"I still am but it doesn't mean I don't care about you."

Hiko grinned and hugged her back with one arm.

Yata stepped back and stood beside Minoru with her arms crossed.

"That was sweet of you Minoru."

"It was nothing." He watched as the two separated and began talking enthusiastically to each other. "Nothing at all."

"Just a little thank you from me to you guys," Hiko said as he set down a warm teapot and four cups.

"Do you always carry these around with you?" Minoru asked as Hiko poured him a cup of warm Jasmine tea.

"Of course. You wouldn't know when you'll need it."

Minoru nodded in slight agreement, he sipped on the tea.

"This is actually pretty good! Tastes just like Katsumi's tea." 

Hiko raised an eyebrow and looked at Katsumi.

"What? I remembered how you used to make them back when you trained me."

Hiko looked away from her and smiled to himself.

"How did you even get here Hiko?" Katsumi asked.

"I flew here, then I saw the Airships and Yuri then I panicked."

"Wait, I thought you didn't have those anymore? You told me you didn't have your bending before you left."

"I got it back. Washi helped me a lot."

"The spirit?" Yata asked. Hiko nodded. "You must have a strong spiritual connection."

"I guess I always had that since I was a kid. I liked meditating a lot, and learning about spirits and energies."

"Why come back now?" Minoru asked.

"I wanted to come back on my birthday, I really did." He looked at Katsumi who looked away from him. "But I had to get my bending back and luckily I did."

"Good for you," Katsumi said in a sarcastic tone.

"What's been happening with the clan while I was gone? How's Jianjun? And Yuri?" Hiko asked enthusiastically.

"Jianjun has been carrying the clan on his back for the last three years. He's really helped us flourish but he's been tiring himself out for way too long."

Hiko's face fell. He knew Jianjun loved him but at the same time, it made him feel guilty that he let him take the responsibility he was supposed to take on.

"Yata, can you please finish healing my arm?" Hiko asked, setting down his tea cup.

"Oh, yeah sure," Yata said before helping Hiko stand up and walking him to the bench near the pond.

Minoru and Katsumi were left alone around the small fire she had made for Hiko to brew his tea.

"So, Hiko's fine," Minoru said awkwardly.

"What do you mean?" Katsumi asked.

"I don't know. I just thought he'd be a lot more... tough. For the kid who saved our village, he seems pretty lanky to me." Minoru said.

"What? Minoru he's been traveling the world for three years alone. Of course, he's going to look thinner."

"Yeah but he doesn't seem like the heroic type." He said nonchalantly. Katsumi's face scrunched up.

"Are you kidding me Minoru? Who knows what could've happened if he hadn't beaten Junko?" Her voice was now rising.

"Beaten? More like killed his own uncle." He scoffed.

"What's wrong with you?!"

"What?! It's just that for all the hype you've generated for this oh-so-great hero of the clan he doesn't seem impressive up close."

"Are you jealous?" Katsumi asked with a low voice.

"I'm not," Minoru said quickly.

"Whatever Minoru." She said before walking off to Hiko.

"Hey Hiko. I should get back to the city now. I actually have to be at the summit with Yuri." Katsumi told Hiko.

"Yeah sure. Why don't you take Minoru with you?" Hiko pointed at Minoru.

"He can stay here." She said with a hard face. "I'll see you later, Hiko. Bye, Aunt Yata." She said before walking to the rope and climbing up.