13: Going Back

Hiko breathed deeply, his chest rising and falling dramatically. When he woke up this morning, he felt as normal as he could be. His mind wasn't as clouded.

Perhaps seeing Jinora did give him what he needed, closure. But after thinking about their conversation last night, Hiko found nothing she had said gave him closure. She was still hesitating, mentioning Kai after she had just kissed him. He was given a cup of tea by Washi as soon as he got up, wanting him to be as calm as he could be. The spirit was worried that Hiko was not telling him something about what happened between them.

"Alright Hiko. Do it just how you've done it thousands of times before." Washi said as he watched Hiko circling his arms. Strands of Lightning followed his fingers, which were shaking. A bead of sweat rolled down the side of his face and his lip was quivering.

"Come on Hiko," Washi muttered to himself.

Hiko brought his fingers together a spark is produced. He extended his arm with force and Yellow Lightning soared out of it with a loud, magnificent roar. As the last bit of energy left through his fingertips, his arm fell limp on his side and his eyes rolled back to his head. Washi caught him before he hit the ground. Hiko slowly opened his eyes looking at the spirit's eyes with a small smile.

"I did it." He huffed, pushing himself off Washi's huge wings. "I did it!" He shouted to the sky, stretching both his arms to his side both producing large amounts of Lightning. He kept throwing his old techniques one by one in the sequence of his father's book. Washi watched with a wide smile as Hiko's ferocity grew with every move he did. Once he finished the last technique, a layer of sweat enveloped his face and his eyes were wide with the adrenaline still pumping.

"Good job Hiko." Washi stood beside him, both of them looking into the ocean of clouds.

Hiko looked at Washi with a grateful smile and hugged the spirit tightly.

"Not one of these again..." Washi muttered to himself before eventually hugging Hiko back.

"I couldn't have done this without you, Washi." Hiko walked to his bag, picking it up.

"Where are you going?" Washi asked.

"Back to the clan. I think I've kept them waiting long enough."

"Okay. Do you want me to... fly you there?" Washi asked timidly.

"Wait, what?" Hiko turned back with a crooked smile. "No, I think I can fly on my own now." Hiko closed his eyes, letting his energy flow through his spine and then releasing it. At the same time, his yellow wings sprouted from his back, crackling menacingly. "You want to come with me? I'm sure they'd love to meet the spirit who's the face of the clan."

Washi shifted uncomfortably something Hiko had never seen him do.

"I don't like humans, Hiko. Of course, you're an exception." He said quickly after he saw the look on Hiko's face.

"Fair enough." Hiko turned around. "So, wait. Where are you going?"

"Back to the Spirit World. I should continue my meditation." Hiko turned back around to look at Washi. He hesitated before quickly jumping on the spirit, hugging him tightly.

"So, this is goodbye?"

"I'm afraid so," Washi said with a sigh before letting Hiko go. "Promise me something Hiko. Move forward." The spirit touched the boy's forehead, in a caring way. Hiko nodded and turned back around.

"I'll see you soon Washi." Hiko smiled before jumping off the mountain.

"Yes. The batteries just shipped out this morning... I hope you'll enjoy them as well!" Jianjun chuckled. "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow, Su." Jianjun hung up the radio, his smile faded slowly.

Yuri walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You want to go back to your room?"

"Yeah, big day tomorrow." He stood up and walked past Yuri. Jianjun walked past his guards along the hallway, his head hung low and his lips were pursed as he thought about tomorrow. Tomorrow was the First Leader's summit to be held in Washi and Jianjun was getting the jitters. Everything he did for the last week was leading up to tomorrow and he hated the anticipation.

He turned a corner and opened the door to his right. The lights opened once he touched the knob of metal on his left and he made his way to his desk.

"Izumi will be there. She'll help me." Jianjun muttered to himself as his head was bowed down on his desk.

"Jian? You alright buddy?" Yuri poked her head into Jianjun's office.

The young man with deep eyebags raised his head to face his girlfriend. "Yes. I just need a little bit of a break." His head fell again on his folded arms.

"You do. Let me get you some tea." Jianjun shifted his head which Yuri took as a nod. Once he heard the door click he stood up and walked to his window. He did need a break. He looked down, seeing his people walk up and down the street. Some would stop and enter the Clan Hall while some would continue walking toward Katsumi's school. Jianjun watched curiously as a crowd of students entered the dojo.

"You'll do great Minoru." Katsumi held his hand tightly as they walked down the dojo's empty hallway. She liked empty hallways as this was the only place where she was able to show at least some affection to her new boyfriend.

"I know. I'm just nervous about Kita and what she'll do when she finds out I cheated on her." Katsumi separated from Minoru with a bewildered face.

"You haven't broken up with her!?" Katsumi whisper shouted.

"I haven't been able to get to that. Mostly because-"

"You're scared of her." Katsumi finished his sentence.

Minoru nodded and continued walking. "Not just her. Her father is a huge guy and he didn't even like me in the first place! Imagine what he'd-" Minoru felt Katsumi's hand quickly separate from his. He looked up to see Jianjun with wide eyes. After a moment's silence, the Clan Head cleared his throat and tried to put on a normal face.

"Sifu Katsumi, I believe the final exams are today?"

Katsumi briskly nodded.

"That's good. I suppose this is one of your students?" Jianjun gestured at Minoru by nodding his head toward him. Katsumi nodded again but now slowly. Jianjun scratched his chin. "I've talked with the principal and I'll be one of the judges. Apparently, Sifu Yuio will not be able to be present." Minoru's eyes widened. "I'll see you on the training grounds Sifu Katsumi. Good luck..."

"Minoru," Katsumi said.

"Right." Jianjun cleared his throat again before walking away.