4: Independence

"...then he'd say 'that's rough buddy'" Washi said in a sarcastic tone.

"Wait let's move away from stories about my dad first." They were travelling through the desert, without any sense of direction. "Where are we going?"

"Oh, well you told me you wanted to get your bending back yourself. So I thought we'd travel to a place where you can connect with the original source of Lightning."

"Really? Aren't you the original source of Lightning?"

"No, I never was. The real original source is the sky. I merely learned from it and brought it to you humans. Thats why the first humans named me the 'Lightning Spirit' which I actually quite like." Hiko snickered.

"So, why do we have to travel? Can't we just do it here? I mean the sky is literally just above us." Hiko pointed up while Washi shook his head.

"We have to get closer." Washi flew faster and eventually left Hiko's sight.

"Washi?" Hiko called.

"Over here!" Washi shouted, Hiko followed the sound of his voice and it revealed itself.

"A mountain? Again." Hiko looked up at the enormous mountain in the middle of the desert.

"It's very similar to my mountain in the spirit world and its one of the tallest in the world."

"I don't know Washi. We should just practice Lightning here." Hiko sat down on the sandy desert floor and crossed his legs.

Washi sighed. "Get up. If you want your bending back we have to do this the right way." Hiko groaned before getting up.

"Fine. I'll climb the mountain." Hiko sighed.

"My back!" Hiko collapsed once he realized he had reached the top.

"Good job Hiko! Now we start the real training. You meditate here alright?" The Raven Eagle suddenly seemed to be out of it. His head tilted backwards and its eyes rolled back.

"Washi?" Hiko got closer and pet the Raven Eagle lightly.

His head went forward again and his eyes came back.

"Sora!" Hiko hugged the Raven Eagle while saying how much he had missed his animal companion. "Here you go, I have some seeds for you." He reached into his bag and pulled out a few seeds which Sora gladly ate. "Where did Washi go?" He shrugged before sitting down again and crossed his legs. It was a lot colder than Hiko had expected. He shivered as he tried to focus on meditation.

After what felt like an hour of silent meditation, Hiko heard a loud fluttering of feathers. He opened an eye and noticed a huge silhouette coming toward him through the clouds. He closed his eye again and heard a soft thud, signalling Washi's landing.

"You were always a natural in meditation. You can open your eyes now." Washi whispered gently.

"I think I want to keep meditating for a few more... hours." Hiko muttered just loud enough so that Washi could hear.

"Alright. I'll get us some food." Hiko heard the flutter of wings again, slowly drift away as Washi went farther and farther away.

He wanted to meditate for as long as he could hold it. He wanted to be alone for now, with his thoughts. He had to untangle the mess that was his mind.

"Jian?" She peeked her head in the office. Jianjun had his head down on his desk, lightly snoring. She smirks before walking to him and got down to his level. "Jian." She whispered. He groans lightly.

"You go home. I'll finish the rest of your paperwork." Jianjun rolls his head to look at the girl beside him.

"Thank you." He musters the strength to say. She smiles and kisses him lightly on the lips before helping him stand up. "I don't know what I'd do without you Yuri."