the boy in the iceberg ‧₊˚ ✩

kazumi's pov:

i was drifting away to sleep but got interrupted by my older brother, sokka.

"it's not getting away from me this time." he said while watching deep into the water. "watch and learn, girls, this is how you catch a fish."

i wasn't really paying attention until i saw my sister trying to waterbend. i always loved watching her waterbend. she looks so peaceful while doing it. i wish i could bend water. instead, i'm an airbender. the last one. but no one knows about it.

do you wanna hear how i found it out? here we go.

i looked at katara bending her water and i wanted to do that too, so badly.
'it never hurts to try'
so i got up and went far away from my village,
i tried doing the same stances as katara but nothing worked.
"WHY CAN'T I BE A BENDER LIKE MY SISTER, IT'S SO UNFAIR" I screamed out of frustration.
i heard some cracking behind me and suddenly, some ice broke down from an iceberg.
"was that- me?" i asked myself.
i closed my eyes, took a deep breath and tried concentrating on my breath. i got into my stances and pushed my arms forward. there it was, wind.
"woah, that- that can't be right." i questioned myself.

"i'm the last airbender"

"sokka! kazumi, snap out of it! look!" she said while bending a fish out of the water.

"that's so gr-"

"pshh. katara. you're gonna scare it away. mmmm... i can already smell it cookin'!"

we both looked at each other and rolled our eyes at our idiotic brother.

"But sokka look! katara caught one!" i tried to get his attention. maybe that wasn't a good idea. while he turned around he bursts the bubble with his spear, leaving him, well wet.

i tried not to laugh but i couldn't hold myself.

"ugh! why is it that every time you play with magic water i get soaked?" sokka said while looking at his clothes.

katara started to speak: "it's not magic. it's waterbending, and it's-"

but like usual, got interrupted by mister ponytail

"yeah, yeah, an ancient art unique to our culture, blah blah blah. look, i'm just saying that if i had weird powers, i'd keep my weirdness to myself."

"you calling katara weird? she's not the one who makes muscles at herself every time she sees her reflection in the water." i said while he was doing exactly what i said. katara and i burst out laughing.

while we weren't really paying attention, the water was full of icebergs nearly crashing us.

"GO LEFT, GO LEFT!!" katara and i screamed.
sokka was confused, i could tell at his face, so he didn't do anything. there were so many icebergs,
three of them crushed our canoe and we jumped out.

"you call that left?" katara asked.

"you don't like my steering?! well, maybe you should have waterbended us out of the ice." sokka answered.
oh, oh, sokka. you shouldn't have said that.

"so you're saying it's my fault?!" katara said louder than before. i knew this wouldn't end good.

"i knew i should have left you both home. leave it to girls to screw things up." sokka said. well now, he went to far. again.