the deserter

the air between us was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. the whole ride, katara was glaring at me, which made me really uncomfortable. but i can completely understand her, i mean who would've thought that i'm technically the last airbender alive.

i promised them to tell them as soon as we are alone, who knows how long this is gonna take...

well right now we're on the search for something to eat.

"guys, i'm staaaaarving" i whined, holding my noisy stomach.

sokka shook the empty bag, holding his stomach too "i'm with kazumi, i'm starving"

aang looked around before rushing forward to a colorful poster.

"i bet we'll find something to eat here!" he pointed at the poster "the fire days festival. fire nation cultural exhibits...jugglers, benders, magicians. this'd be a great place for me to study some real firebenders!"

"aang this is a great idea as long as i'm getting something to eat" i laughed slightly "but you might rethink this.."

"why?"

"kazumi is right, look at this" sokka pointed to a wanted poster of aang and the blue spirit.

"hey, a poster of me!" aang smiled at it.

"a wanted one, idiot.." i flicked his forehead.

"hey! what was that for?!" aang rubbed his forehead, i didn't feel like answering so i just smiled.

katara took of the poster and looked around us
"i think we better keep moving."

"i have to learn firebending at some point and this could be my only chance to watch a master up close" aang argumented with us all.

"i still think it's a-"

"i mean, we could check it out.. i guess" katara looked at the ground, unsure.

"what!? you want to walk into a fire nation town where they're all fired up with all their, you know, fire?" sokka threw his hands in the air.

"we'll wear disguises and if it looks like trouble, we'll leave" katara smiled and walked with aang towards appa.

"yeah, because we always leave before we get into trouble." sokka shook his head.

"hey, light up! we get something to eat!" i punched his shoulder before running up to the others.

during the ride, there was an awkward silence between us, again. no one spoke, not even looked at each other, and it was all my fault.

"hey, there's the village! yip yip!" aang shook appa's reigns to get us down. as soon as we landed, aang jumped to my side to help me down.

"thank you" i smiled at him.

"no biggie!" he blushed a bit. "you guys stay out of sight here while we go to the festival"

appa let out a soft growl and momo and 'prr' before walking away.

"disguises!" aang said excitedly. katara, sokka and i pulled the hood from our black cloak over our heads. we looked at Aang, who just pulled his red hood over his head.

"wow, i would never recognize you after your disguise"

"it's like you're a whole different person."

sokka and i laughed at our jokes. too bad katara didn't get some of the funny genes.

"let's go" aang hopped forwards.

as we walked into the village i saw a lot of people laughing, amazed by the fire, people in a dragon outfit and of course some children crying. the thing was, they all had some masks but we didn't.