AQULE II

During the day, if the sun broke through the clouds, sunrays gave the ice castle an aquatic-blue hue

During the day, if the sun broke through the clouds, sunrays gave the ice castle an aquatic-blue hue. But at night it was a different story. And on this night, the moon sat high, and the castle shimmered a dull glassy-white.

Marina and I approached, wrapped tightly in our seal skin robes; our delicate frames disguised like two bobbing torsos.

We navigated the tapered mounds while the moon peeked behind the clouds to chase the shadows away. I raised my chin, following the icy walls skyward. They extend to the cavern walls, barricading the castle like a shield. Behind it, towers spiraled up to icicle-sharp points. Sentrys stood watch. I felt myself shrink as we grew closer.

'Race ya!' Marina giggled, shoving past me.

'Marina!' I shouted, stretching my arms and waving to restore balance. Once stable, I narrowed my eyes and furrowed my brows. Don't think you'll get away that easily.

I turned my legs and threw my arms; I was off through the cave, carefully placing each step. There were jagged stones everywhere, ready to yank on my robe, and trip up my feet.

Marina was exceptional in the water, but on land, I was the natural. I moved with a fluidity like I was underwater. Around corners, beneath stoned archways, and over mounds that tried to hinder my path.

The wind whispered and played with my hair. I giggled. The water spoke in other ways. But the wind spoke to me like I belonged to it. Encouraging me forward; faster and faster and faster, she said.

Giggles echoed through the mounds. It grew louder until Marinas robe came into view. I cuffed my mouth, 'you best run faster!'

Marina peeked over her shoulder. 'You'll regret saying that when you come in second.' She giggled, then whipped around a corner.

I tucked my chin down and bit my lower lip. We'll see about that!

We passed through the gate and beneath the icicle portcullis. Guards dressed in blue shelled armor, and wielding golden trident, waved. I waved back. Marina blew them kisses; always striving to be the center of attention.

We entered the courtyard: ice sculptures of Corlandian warriors dueling dainty, tentacled creatures were scattered about. Waterfalls washed down the towers and pillars while a fog curled at their base. Streams webbed to fountains and pools. And the ground twinkled like sapphire and diamonds.

My legs trembled and burned. Each breath was cool on my lips and chilled my chest. Marina was losing ground. She could hold her breath for hours, but when it came to sprinting, her lungs waned quickly.

We got to the base of the grand staircase. Marina only had me by a few steps. I was nimble, gliding upward; she skipped ahead, panting heavily. Three sets to the finish line. The first was hers. The second was mine. And by the third we ran neck and neck, pushing out our last bit of energy.