EROH V

I got Nhedri to the stream without her walking away and asking any question

I got Nhedri to the stream without her walking away and asking any question. I was grateful she didn't fight me, but prepared in case she got the urge to take a swing. She was the toughest girl I knew. Beat more boys than I could count.I had no business breathing the same air as her, let alone asking for her horn. What was I even doing here?

"What are we doing here?" Nhedri tone cut the cold. "Why have you brought me to the stream?"

Water trickled between our silence. This gave me enough time to take a breath and slow my heart. But not enough time to calm the nerves that made my hands rattle.

I looked upon her, and it was like looking upon true golden beauty. The kind of gold rarely found upon the earth. One meant to be alone, and not owned, or possessed. But to only look and admire. I smiled with the warmth of the prairie she rode in from. My nostrils tickling of her earthy, floral fragrance.

"You have had my heart since the moment I first saw you." When I recited the words in my head, they came out strong and easy, but just then I squeaked. Nhedri corked her head, watching me with uncertain eyes. "And nothing would mean more to me then to have your horn."

Her silence unnerved me somewhat, but only for a moment. Then, as seconds flew by, I thought it was a good thing. That my words left her speechless. My cheeks reddened at the high, drawn giggle that left her lips. Cute and mocking. Telling me I was a scrawny, pathetic fool.

"Eroh," she giggled. "You're like a younger hoofling to me."

"But I'm older."

"Exactly. That's the problem." She brushed her hair to her front, trying to keep her lips from slipping her high, amusing tone. "You're older, but you act like a boy. And just because you're called a man doesn't mean you are."

Suddenly I was hotter than the meat roasting over the fire. "You think you're better than me?" I didn't know the deep voice that came out, but I liked it. "Better than a young horn?"

Nhedri shrugged, twirling her hair like a whip. "No. I just know I can never love you."

My insides twisted, and I gagged. Nhedri was watching. I turned to look down stream trying to find a way out. Maybe I should just start walking. Leave her in the woods by herself. She could find her way back. The village torches were like fire bugs in the night. All she'd needed to do is follow them.

I shook my head and looked upon her. "Beauty doesn't make you a Lady Horn."

I'd done it now. Her face twisted. Eyebrows furrowed. Lips pruned. It was a mistake to cross her, but I was a man now, and I would not appear weak. Next thing I knew, my cheek pained, my head rang, and I was down in the stream flailing. How she caught me bare-knuckled I would ponder long after tonight. But for now, I was thanking the Horn Gods she didn't follow up with a second, and even a third swing.