EROH XII

Nhedri pulled on the reins and Mayhee came to a halt at the cave entrance

Nhedri pulled on the reins and Mayhee came to a halt at the cave entrance. An icy mist expelled from the cave, causing my flesh to grow bumpy the horse to take two steps back and grunt.

I said, "It's better if we travel on foot." Nhedri raised an eyebrow then looked down. I followed her gaze. "You on foot and me on hooves."

She nodded, "right," and shifted to dismount off the horse.

From behind us, a trampling thud shook the ground. I spun around and looked outward. Down the mountain several horned men mounted on horse's rode up the peak. A massive wake of dust tailing them. Their faces twisted and eyes black with malice. I looked to the man leading them. He was tall and muscular, with hair braided, whipping at his back.

"It's my father ..."

I took a step back, brows furrowed. "You used me as bait?"

"No!" Nhedri said sorely. "He must've followed us." I rolled my fingers into fists while my muscles grew taut, ready to snap. She placed her hand on my shoulder, her warmth easing me. "I'll go down and greet him."

My tone lowered and was harsh. "What good will that do?"

She looked at me with those brown, prairie eyes and for a moment I was lost, wandering the lands to the south. I shook my head.

"It'll give you time to warn them ..." She lowered her head. "Promise me that you're doing this for the right reason ... Promise me this to help our people."

"The Merfolk are not the people we think they are, Nhedri." I said with the confidence of a chief. "I must prove it to our people ... I must prove it to them ... If I am to ever rule you must trust me."

Nhedri pulled on the reins and kicked, turning Mayhee towards the approaching horde. "In all my life I've never doubted you. Today will be no different." Her lips curled into an uncertain smile. "And promise me I'll see you again."

I looked upon the cave. Shadows rested inside the mouth. Black and cold shadows, that brought the icy mist in gusts, and the sound of a low hum that made the caves feel as though it was alive. Angry and alive. I was certain who I was before I stepped into that cave, but what I'd be afterward was a haunting idea that drowned my mind.

I found her eyes, "I promise you!"

Nhedri's lips raised and curled while her cheeks blossomed. "I love you!"

My throat tightened and my lungs waned. I froze at her words. My tongue rested numb. Limbs heavy at my sides. Heart drumming an unrhythmic song. I wanted to say the it back. Every part of my spirit wanted to profess my love. But my lips would move and the words stayed hidden deep within me. When I finally felt my tongue and found my voice I replied, "Best of luck to you."

Nhedri blinked slowly, lips slightly gaped. She nodded and looked forward then kicked her horse until they faded down the path in a brown, swirling cloud. Mayhee hooves waning in my ears. I stood still unable to move my limbs. What was that? What is wrong with me? I clenched and turned towards the cave, swearing as I went inside.