AQULE V

My eyes were so wide it hurt

My eyes were so wide it hurt ...

Eroh's blade sat pinned between two stones, unstained with blood, and without kill to its name. He pulled it from the stone and shoved it into its sheath, squeezing Grouper's throat.

"My people are coming to destroy you all," his black eyes narrowed and glared sharp as the dagger. "Do not make me regret releasing you." He squeezed once more than released, standing over the defeated Mer. "You both need to get out of here before it's too late ..."

Grouper's pale complexion returned. "Why didn't you kill me?" He gasped. "I killed your brother ... I killed Elior!"

Eroh stared at him and shook his head. "Because I've made the mistake of taking a life ... I won't do it again. Now, I've spared your life. In return, I ask that you see to it that Aqule gets away safely. Do this for me and we will be even." Grouper nodded quickly. Eroh turned on me and his black eyes glimmered of kindness. He smiled. "Let's get your fin."

I nodded obediently and hurried over to the fins. Eroh followed behind and took my blue, scaled appendage down from where it hung and brought it to the pool. I looked to both boys cautiously. They understood, and faced a wall. I slid off my seal-hide robe, feeling the cold air wisk across my skin, causing it to rise in tiny bumps. I then kneeled and slid my legs into the cold, wet appendage, allowing it to squeeze my legs together, molding to my skin.

Ten minutes later, I beat my fin against the stone, feeling whole once again. I looked to Eroh, curling my lips at his monstrous beauty. "I'm ready."

He kneeled and in a swift swipe of his arms, hoisted me up to his chest. Eroh did not share the cold that expelled from my body, but a warmth that blacketed me against the chill. The black hairs sprouting from his chest and arms were thick and soft against my skin. I rested my cheek against his body, listening to the tribal drum of his heart. And when I was at peace, gazed up into his beautiful eyes, lost inside them, like I'd been submerged by the twinkling night ocean above.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him tightly as he embraced me with the same elegant strength. Our eyes never veered, always together, as he walked slowly to the pool and lowered me downward. Cold water washed against my skin and fin, wetting his arms, yet his heat expelled, keeping me warm. My heart fluttered like a flying fish and smiled, deep and sweetly. His lips rose and twisted with the same sweetness.

He released me staying wrapped around his neck, bobbing in the water as he kneeled upon land. Our eyes locked. Foreheads together. Together as one. I never wanted to leave him. Why did I have to go? Why couldn't I stay with him?

I ... I ... I love him ...

Eroh reached to his waist and unbuckled the sheath. "Here. I want you to take this." He placed the blade inside my hand. "To protect yourself ... and to remember me by."

I held it in my hands and gazed upon the white-antler hilt. How beautiful was the craftmanship. "I can't ... it was your brothers."

"You must," He nodded. "I'll feel more at peace knowing you have it."