ROKK VII

I groaned like a dying pig

I groaned like a dying pig. My right leg throbbed. I was lucky to be alive.

"Quit your whining," Lylef said." It's only a small bruise. You're lucky you're not dead."

I winced. "What happened? Last thing I knew I was thrown in the air and the dire boar was trying to bury his tusks inside me."

"You're lucky he didn't." Lylef said, leaning over me. She smelt like morning honey. "Gagrit stepped into the ring and scared him away … you should thank her."

Thank her? I shook my head. "Why would I thank that monster? She's the one that let him in …"

"No!"  Lylef shook her head. "The guards discovered the ring gate had been destroyed. It must've broken in late last night. It is mating season you know."

I crossed my arms on top of my chest. "I still think she had something to do with it."

"Why?" Lylef asked, stroking my cheek. I turned onto my left hip, looking away from her, avoiding her tender touch. I wish I hadn't. "You're sure grumpy this morning."

"I wonder why … my leg hurts … Gagrit tried to kill me … and I lost my manhood hunt."

Lylef held still then sighed, brushing her hair to one side. I never liked her silence. It meant she was sad and I never liked to see her sad. My little Lylef. We both sat quiet in the silence for a while. It didn't feel right not to hear her voice. Not to see her smile. Or watch her eyes glow. I couldn't act like brute for long.

"They'll have to allow you to try again."

I raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" I corked my head back, seeing her tap a finger on her cheek, thinking much too hard. "Why would they do that?"

"Because your manhood hunt was interfered by that beast …"

"So …"

"So?" Lylef raised her hands and they fell. "It wasn't a proper manhood hunt."

I chuckled grimly. "Says you … if I got another chance it would only further dishonor my father."

"He'd have to understand ... They all would." Lylef smiled. "And then Gagrit could train you." I trembled, trying to bury myself in my deerhide covers. Lylef pulled them away. "Are you afraid of her?"

"Yes … and you're not?" I gazed upon her sinking into her brown eyes. "I nearly killed her … now she wants my head."

"I don't think so … I think she was proud of you."

"Proud of me?" My voice faded off. I sat up suddenly and felt dizzy. I put hands down to keep from falling over. "Why would she be proud of me?"

"Because you fought back … she was testing you."

My tongue felt heavy and I scratched my head. Oddly, her words made sense. "You think she was proud I scared her for life? 

"I'm certain of it!