ROKK III

Time was not on my side

Time was not on my side. It slipped away with the dipping sun. And I'd return home with only the memory of this day to accompany me at night. I didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay. Stay with her, my little Lylef.

We'd taken some leftover biscuits, a variety of meats, cheeses, and horns filled with frothy beer and tracked just outside of HuntLoch Village. A grove sat alone, peacefully overlooking a ridge. Here Lylef and I spent our last moments together. When we'd see each other again was on my mind.

"Don't look like such a saddened fool, Rokk." Lylef giggled. "You know my brother is to be wed to Nhedri in the summer. We'll see each other than."

It was the third time she told me that. And the fifth time I told myself. I knew we'd be together again to celebrate their marriage, but then we'd separate until my manhood hunt. I didn't want to be away from her that long. I didn't want to be away from her, ever. Her smile was kind and warm, making me feel like I was the Lord Horn. And she made me laugh. Nobody made me laugh like her. Going months between seeing Lylef made my heart ache.

"Maybe you can come with us?" I grinned, crooked. "I could show you around my village."

"I've been to Boarwood village several times."

"Yes. But have you gone boar riding?"

She giggled at the thought. "That sounds exhilarating! But won't they throw you off and gouge you? I've heard a boar's tusk can tear through flesh with ease."

"Yup." I nodded and snorted. "But we remove the tusks and have trained the boars to behave."

I've seen thousands of stars on thousands of nights, but none brightened like Lylef's eyes when she heard that. She bounced on the grass, like she was mounted on a boar, ready for the adventure.

'We must do it!'

"We will! And we can go to the old tree to explore its limbs. The giant's steps to watch the falls. And to the minotaur caves, if you're brave enough." There was no fear in her eyes. 'And at night we'll have a boar barbecue.'

'Boar Barbecue?'

"Yup!" I said, patting my tummy. 'It's the most amazing thing you'll ever have. The boar is cooked for hours beneath the earth until the meat becomes juicy and tender." My tongue salvated and I fought to keep from slobbering. "So will you come?"

Lylef's grin widened her face. "You're not giving me any other choice. I must see it for myself."

From the basket, I yanked out my fourth biscuit, grinning. My hand popped and pain filled my fingers. Lylef pointed a finger. "Put it down!" That's when I realized she'd slapped me.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, put it down." Lylef folded her arms, and beautiful green eyes were now dark and serious.