EROH VIII

The seal-hide robe kept my body just warm enough to keep me from freezing in the cave

I'd lost track of what day and hour it was. Darkness and sleep did that. And every so often the guard would come and bring me a fresh bull of fishy liquid. It was rank, burning my nostrils and tongue. After several days of eating it, I could hardly muscle another mouthful. I gagged and nearly threw it back up.

When I slept, I dreamed the same dream repeatedly. The dream of Elior walking out onto the ice. And before it took him, he looked in my direction, smiling. Smiling as if everything was going to be ok. Then he was taken.

When I was awake, I thought mostly of Nhedri. She comforted me in the cell. Her prairie warmth kept my spirit high. While the smell of summer flowers that lingered off her skin caught my nose. Only she had that effect on me.

But days into my capture ... or weeks ... I was uncertain how long it'd been; I was no longer certain if I was dreaming or awake. I had returned to the ice, but instead of Elior, it was Nhedris who was taken. Swallowed up by the ice. Her screams haunted me throughout the day.

I went through several emotions. At times I felt like giving up. That death would be easier than living. Those were the darkest moments of my life. Cold. Hungry. And wanting to die. But they were never stronger than the will to live. I can't give up, I thought. And so, when those dark moments filled my mind I'd think of my family and the clan. Who would be Chief if I were to die? Lylef was brave and strong, but that was not her burden to bear ... it'd now become mine.

But my will to live became strongest when I thought of Elior. My brother. The true Chief who was taken before his time. I had to survive for him. To live on for the both of us. And to rule as chief as one. I could not let him down. I knew if it were he, he would do the same for me.

After I'd grown tired of the dreams and images, I tried other things to keep my mind and body from waning. With my arm, I practiced like I had a sword. Chopping the air like they were pale opponents. One by one they'd fall, and I'd be free. But that game ended the moment my body grew too tired to play.

Next, I tried to keep my mind sharp, reciting the words Marina told me. "At the trial you must promise them you'll help defeat the Sqek." I wasn't sure what the truly meant, but I would be willing to make that promise if that meant my survival. Convincing my father to keep that promise would be something I'd have to figure when I was free from this mess.

I was ready for the task. But as the days passed, I forgot the details. Too weary to think, and too weak to care. The only hope I held onto was the one of freedom. My father would come searching for me after too long. He'd discover my horse. Find the tracks and discover the caves. Maybe he had? And maybe he too was captured and thrown into a cell ... or worse ... dead already.

When I felt broken and lost I wept. Tears of guilt. Tears of sorrow. And tears of disgust. I began to hate the Merfolk. I cursed them with all of my being. Cursed them to be cast down into the Gods burrow where they will be gouged by horns, while their castle burns to the ground. That would be a sight to see. Skin melting from flesh and bone while they screamed with their last, choking breaths.

I'd smile, sick and twisted, while my eyes narrowed and grew dark.

A low voice brought me out of darkness. "Hello Landwalker."

I saw the silhouette standing behind the bars, cloaked in shadows. Eyes blue and cold. I shivered, certain it wasn't because of the cold.

"Who's there?"

"A friend of your brothers," he laughed harshly. "What may I call you?"

My brother? Hairs on my neck stood up. I replied weakly, "Eroh. And you?"

"Grouper ..."

I raised an eyebrow. "You knew my brother?"

"For a moment ... Only long enough to know he was a fighter."

I crawled closer to the ice bars, squinting, trying to locate a face. "What do you mean he was a fighter?"

"I mean what it sounds like." He hissed with laughter. "He was a fighter until the very end."

"You?" My flesh grew warm. "You saw him go under? You saw him fall through the ice?"

"Saw? Fall?" The silhouette shrugged. "I'd use another word ..." My throat was tight enough to choke me. "Pulled."

My heart thudded against my chest. "Pulled? You saw somebody pull him through the ice?"

"Saw ... no."

I shook my head. "I'm not following."

The man chuckled. "I did not see him fall through the ice because I was too busy pulling him down into the abyss."

Every part of my body felt like daggers were drawing into my flesh. I lept to my feet and charged the bars and reached a hand through them. I swiped at the man's throat. All I needed was to catch him and squeeze and he'd be dead.

"You murdered him ..."

The man chuckled, "I did ... but you should ask yourself why?"

I breathed heavily until my lungs slowed. I lowered my arm and grabbed onto the bars, gazing into those cold, blue eyes. Cold as the water that took Elior.

"You hate LandWalkers?"

"No ..." He shook his head. "Think harder."

"You're a twisted little fish ..."

He chuckled. "Now you're being insulting."

"Then what." I clenched my teeth. "What was your reasoning? What am I missing?"

"Because he loved one of us."

My leg wobbled, and suddenly I was dizzy. I clutched the bars harder, keeping myself upright. "What do you mean that he loved one of you?"

The man stayed silent for a time, then said, "he loved the woman that I loved."

My brows furrowed. "And she loved him ... so you killed him ... you killed him because you couldn't have her."

He lifted his chin and laughed. "And neither will you."

I shook against the bars and yelled. "What do you mean? Who? Who won't I have?"

"Are you that stupid, Landwalker?" He sighed. "Marina ... you'll never have her ..." He chuckled as he stepped into the shadows and disappeared.

I stood frozen in my pose, realizing that this was all a trap ... and I'd fallen into it.

 and I'd fallen into it