To the cabin

There's a long list of auspicious things that came with the cabin his brother has bought for his workaholic wife-to-be

There's a long list of auspicious things that came with the cabin his brother has bought for his workaholic wife-to-be. Christian likes staying there more than he can admit. It was a perfect weekend getaway except for when he wants to be a pesky jerk to Kylie, because as of the moment she's nowhere in sight.

"You won't find her." His brother patted his shoulder, nursing a glass of wine.

He doesn't usually play dumb, but it couldn't hurt to start now. "Who?"

"Nice try." Vren chuckles.

Realizing he's busted, he rolled his shoulders. "Where is she?"

"Oh, man. Audrey's going to kill you. She told you to leave Kylie alone." He laughs, more to the sight of his son blabbering at his mother's phone while the latter holds up her phone to take a photo of him.

"I'll pay front row tickets for me and Miles to watch that."

"Your fiancée is going to kill your brother. Shouldn't you be bothered?"

"I'm just showing my son how badass his mother is."

Christian snorted. "Nice parenting. Where's Kylie?"

"Groceries. With Matthew."

"I could've gone with her."

"Or you could've gone out with Matty."

Their heads snapped to the door of the cabin where Miles' nanny just made her way out – probably done from unpacking. She gave them both a smile and headed to the graveled driveway, to the struggling Audrey.

"I have no idea if he's avoiding you or she just likes Matthew." Vren glances briefly at him. "Maybe the latter."

"Or both." He chuckles, all the while wondering to himself why 'the latter' bothered him just a smidge. Sure, it was just a kick in his ego.

Bruised ego.

That's certainly the case.

A car comes into view from the bending road. Sure enough, it was Kylie and Matthew. It eases onto the driveway, Audrey waving at the newcomers. Miles copied his mommy, clapping as he sees his Uncle Matthew coming out of the car. He happily ruffles Miles' hair and turns to Kylie who started collecting grocery bags from the backseat.

She gives Miles a peck on the cheek.

Christian's gaze drags over her. A sigh that's a tad past appreciative breezes through his nose.

Kylie is wearing a bright yellow skirt that matches her the ginormous bow behind her head. He wasn't sure if it was the color of sunshine drawing his eyes on her. Or if Kylie was naturally a ray of radiant sunlight.

She climbs up the doorstep, a couple of grocery bags in hands. Her eyes found his. Lingered for a moment. "I knew you'd be here."

"This is pure coincidence."