Swimming Lessons

Vren has set up barbecue by the lake

Vren has set up barbecue by the lake. It wasn't a bad idea. The afternoon was warm enough for a swim in the lake and his brother's given everyone a heads-up. Except for Matthew who looked like he didn't get the memo with the jeans and all-too-formal shirt.

He packed a couple of swimming shorts and offered the other to his brother, but he declined. He preferred to be out of place. He's relieved the nanny from her duty, offering to babysit since he won't be in on the fun.

"Who's your favorite Uncle?" Christian leans in to peck on his nephew's forehead.

"He doesn't need to answer that. You've came up with the answer yourself." Matthew shakes his head smilingly.

He ruffles both their hairs. "I'm your favorite Uncle," he pinches Miles' cheek then turned to pat his brother's cheek, "and I'm your favorite brother."

"Do I get to have a say on that?"

"Nope."

Matthew chuckles.

He looks over his shoulder, to Vren who was manning the grill. Audrey was setting the table, giving round-the-clock glances to her son, Emma helping out. The nanny worn a two piece while Audrey – always conservative in her wardrobe – chose a black one-piece swimsuit that covers wayyy more skin than Emma's. Plus, she's draped a swimsuit robe over it. Even then, his brother kept glancing her way.

Not that Christian was ever scandalized on whatever else goes on between the two of them. It was hardly his concern. His gaze kept drawing to Kylie who was standing next to Vren. She skipped the two-piece bikini. Which he's surprised about and... pleased about at the same time.

He likes it.

He likes the lace.

He likes that it looked vintage.

He likes it even more that Kylie seems comfortable in it enough.

That's all.

Christian stared at Vren and Kylie, wondering what they were conversing about because his brother is making gestures with his hands while flipping some lamb chops on the grill. Kylie nods, laughing. She looked up to Vren with shimmering dark brown eyes. Like she was looking up to a big brother.

Something squeezes his chest. His mind drifted over to the thought Kylie losing her family in a car accident. No wonder she's acted a little mellowed down after his mention of his own accident in high school.

"Staring's a crime." A thick, elegant voice snaps him out of his thoughts.

He plastered a smirk and looked at Audrey who had quietly made her way to them. "That's a fine-looking grill."

"I'll try to believe that you're into grills," she says. Although her voice was teasing, her face scarcely showed anything. "You're going for a swim in those jeans?"