The old ways

Kylie

Kylie

I have been furious in acceptable amount of times like a normal person. Hell, I've kicked my boss' car tires to manage some of those aggravation. I thought I've won a medal for anger management then. But that was before Christian Parkinson. That was way before I went to grab Audrey her coffee and paid attention to the newsstands where pictures of the city's notorious playboy are a trend on cheap tabloids.

I should've just turned away, cross the street in my five-inch heels and never give it a second glance. But like an idiot, I bought a copy and reread the headlines all morning. Just the headlines.

I can't even get past the freaking headlines!

My hands kept themselves busy, sure. But my eyes kept dragging over to the stupid newspaper. To the all too familiar blue eyes and cocky smile with a skinny party girl on his arm. I've been cleaning my desk all morning. I've been scraping that one spot that was heating up with friction, I might as well start a campfire.

I am royally pissed.

Not sure how, not sure why; but it was clear as day.

As if it wasn't enough to go MIA for eternity – I'm pissed so I'm allowed to exaggerate – he goes rubbing his flings on my face. On top of that, I have these shards in my chest that don't go away. And I still have the newspaper splayed on my desk so said shards are there to stay.

I shake my head to focus on my "scraping." My fingertips started to heat up but I couldn't will myself to stop. If I stop, I might acknowledge the fact that I'm veerrry green with jealousy. Maybe there was a reason why I'm wearing a lime green top.

Crap. I may have just acknowledged it.

"Kylie? Kylie." Audrey's voice snapped me out of train of thoughts.

I leaped out of my chair and plastered a smile. "Do you need anything, Audrey?"

She stared strangely at me, shaking her head. "What's up with you?"

"Nothing," I answered quickly.

Her eyes dropped to the newspaper that was wrinkling on the edges. I kept the giant smile on my face that was starting to hurt. "Thought I keep up with the town gossip."

She lifted her gaze back to me. "Cheap tabloids are not credible."

"You're right, I guess I should throw this away." My hand crawled to the newspaper, deliberately folding the front page where the big fat picture of the expensive party girl cozied up next to Christian. "Oh, and Audrey," I swallowed as I very slowly crumpled the paper in my hand, "I think I'll be out of Vren's apartment by next week. Sorry if I may have overstayed a bit."

She waved a manicured hand. "You can stay as long as you want."

"I can't. That's too much." I winced when I dumped the newspaper to the trash bin. I can't guarantee that I won't be pathetically fishing it out of the trash later. "Jessica's neighbor just got evicted and I happily grabbed my chances for a living space."