Chapter.23

POV.LANA

While Hope is resting, I decided to go to the machine to get me a coffee. "Honey, how are you?" I turn around and find myself Fred "Honestly ... I don't know" we sit in one of the benches in the waiting room "The only thing now is that she is well, she needs attention despite being a teenager" with her hand she caresses my face "I'm afraid I'm not up to Fred, it's all so new to me and it's difficult" a tear falls from my face, the coffee is hot, I'm burning my hands "Give to me" he takes the glass from my hands, stretches his arms and wraps me in an embrace "Listen, it's not easy to be behind a girl, don't be offended by what I'm going to say, but not having grown her up you don't know what are her shortcomings and her strengths, you don't know who was her first crush or who was her favorite princess, but this does not consider you a bad mother indeed, you wanted the best for her because before you were not ready, then fate made you meet again and it is now my love that you have to get involved, both for you and for her, show everyone that you are the mother she deserves and has always wanted "her words make me burst into a liberating cry "And never forget that I will always be there for you, for better or for worse I will be there to give you a hand, because I love you".                                                                          "I love you too" I whisper in a voice that trembles from the outburst, I'm lucky to have Fred by my side, I don't know how I would have done without him, in fact I don't even want to think about it.

TWO DAYS LATER

We came home, Hope and above resting in bed, Fred and at work and I am here in the kitchen I despair in trying to cook my daughter's favorite dessert, from the video on the internet it all seems easier, my kitchen says the on the contrary, it looks like a war field.

After putting the profiterole in the fridge I decide to give a dusting in the living room, I use the stool to get to the top of the bookcase, with my hand I can't go all the way, I push but nothing is blocking me, I lengthen the arms and I find a box, I take it and pull it down, it was placed at the bottom covered with a cloth, it is full of dust.

There is silence in the house, the fireplace warms the room, so I decide to sit on the soft carpet, take the box and intrigued I see what's inside, I put a hand on my mouth surprised to have found Hope's albums as a child, there is also a DVD with 'Hope first steps' written on it.

FLASHBACK

"Mrs. Parrilla, do you know that by signing the document you will never be able to see your daughter again until you reach the age of majority of the girl?" said Stevens' attorney, I'm not sure of the decision I'm about to make, but I know Hope will have a better future.

"Yes, I know .." I nod as I take the pen to sign.

"The only thing we ask of you," my attorney intervened. "It is a favor, if every year on the child's birthday, you could send photos to Mrs. Parrilla, so that Hope can be seen."

"Hope?" said Mrs. Stevens.

"Yes Hope, she is my 'hope' that I finally did something good in the world" I hold back my tears and after signing I leave the room, to go to the bathroom, collapse into a hysterical cry, and she too was gone gone from my life.

19 YEARS LATER ...

"What are you doing?" Hope asks curiously, after going downstairs.

"Dusting I found this" I point to the box wiping my tears.

"What's this?" he asks me sitting next to me.

"You are my little 'Hope'."