18 ' her bestfriend

Hoshino was determined to go to school the next day to catch up with the others. The good thing now was that apart from Bokuto and Shirofuku, she knew she wasn't close with anyone. Meaning, no one would bother asking what happened to her.

So the very next morning, she leaves her apartment a little earlier than usual and enjoys the sirene and quiet halls. It's not everyday that the school was this quiet without her needing to turn off her hearing aids.

"Hoshino-chan?"

"Huh?" The unfamiliar voice peaked her interest, "A teacher?" she mumbled.

She turned around just before she entered the classroom and spotted Yukimura a few steps away from her. "Hoshino-chan, you're back" he exclaimed, visibly surprised, and rushed to her, frightening her.

He held her shoulders and smiled, "Wow, I thought something bad happened to you. Wait, nothing happened, right? You okay?" he asked and looked at her from head to toe.

"Y-Yes, I'm, I'm okay," she managers to mutter an answer. She hated how carelessly he touched her, how loud he was right now, and how close he was. She wanted to go back home or at least turn off her aids.

"I was supposed to deliver you notes but another guy just did. Did you prepare for the science test later?" he asked, referring to Bokuto.

Speaking of Bokuto, he enjoyed his mini-reunion with her yesterday so much that his promise to deliver her the notes just flew off his mind.

"What, what test?"

"He didn't tell you? Okay, well, it's more on formulas so do you want me to teach you? We still have time," he offered.

"I guess," she answered and slid the door open.

"G-Great! Here, have a look at my notes," he said as they entered the room. He sat next to her and quickly zipped open his bag to get his notebook.

"There are 3 formulas and while it's not that complicated, the most important thing here is to know which one to use and when. It can be confusing," he began. It marked the end of the tranquility of her morning.

By the time Bokuto reached the classroom, the first thing he sees was the unusual sight of Hoshino casually talking to another boy. "It's that boy again," he muttered to himself while he headed to his seat.

"Good morning. My notes, please?"

"Oh! Notes! Oh no!"

"Please don't tell me you forgot," Shirofuku sighed.

"It's with me, I forgot to give it to Nanao," he gasped and glanced at Hoshino.

"That explains why they've been studying," she said and looked at Yukimura and Hoshino. He even pulled his chair closer to hers.

"Oh," he mouthed and took a seat.

"I heard Yukimura-kun likes your Hoshino," she teased, "I heard from his friends."

"H-He does?" It alarmed Bokuto, "You sure, Yukippe?"

"Sort of. He's a total tsundere to everyone but he's weirdly nice to her too."

"Really? You're sure you're sure?"

"You mad?" she chuckled.

"He's leaning, so, so, so, close," Bokuto groaned.

"We're just friends," she said in a mocking tone.

"We are friends! Nanao already said she likes me," he flaunted.

"Oh, she did? Like, a confession?" She had her doubts.

"She said she likes me because I'm her bestfriend," he clarified, making her burst into laughter.

"Bestfriend-zoned!" she told him in between her chuckles, "I can't believe it! I thought she was head over heels for you!"

"She is?!"

"No, that's the point," she sighed. "But you? Do you like her more than just a bestfriend?" she continued.

"Hmm," he hummed, thinking.

"Geez, it's not a hard question."

"You mean Nanao as, a, um, a girlfriend?" he whispered.

"Uhuh."

"Then it's a hard question, meanie!"

Hoshino spent the rest of the morning cramming all the information and key points in her head. Even on a different class, she'd glance at her small index card of formulas.

Bokuto, on the other hand, thought of the answer to Shirofuku's question. It's the first time the thought of going beyond friendship with her crossed his mind and it certainly distracted him.

"You see that, Bokuto?" Shirofuku said and nudged him as their class came to an end. It was almost lunch time.

"See what?"

She responded with a nod at Yukimura, making him look at the same direction too. "You see that dreamy dreamy stare? He likes her, I'm sure."

"Eh, Nanao doesn't like him."

"Really? I thought you're the only one she allows to touch her?" she kept on teasing.

"So Nanao likes him?" He was too easy to convince, the teasing doesn't work.

"I dunno, why not ask her yourself?" she suggested and stood up. "See you. Tell me how it goes," she bid him farewell since she usually ate with Suzumeda.

"And look, she's coming here," she added in a whisper before leaving the room.

"Kotaro-san," Hoshino called.

"Nanao!"

"Let's eat with Akaashi-san. Time for lunch," she said with a subtle smile.

"Okay okay. I brought my own bento today. Mom made one again," he spoke in a strangely bored tone. Or so it seemed.

"Is everything okay, Kotaro-san?" she asked as he grabbed his bento and chopsticks.

"Yeah, of course," he reassured, "Let's go. Akaashi's waiting."

He was right but Akaashi isn't the only one waiting for him. Upon walking out of the room, Kotaro recognizes a familiar face, making him pause along the way.

"Kotaro?" she mumbled and looked up at him, who was racking his brain to remember who she is. It's Kato Mayumi, the girl who asked him out on a sushi date.

"F-First name basis!" Kato gasps inaudibly, looking down at Hoshino.  Literally. Kato was much taller than Hoshino.

"Yes? Do you need something?" Bokuto asked, breaking the silence.

"Ah, ah, right. I made bento for you, Bokuto-san!" she answered and presented a lunch box wrapped in a cute ribbon.

"I meant what I said in our sushi date. Please accept this," she added.

Hoshino felt like an extra in the background, or at least a third wheel in what seemed to be Bokuto's blossoming new romance.