❀ SIXTEEN

APRIL 25, 2017

Donghyuck carried her, his right arm hooked under her lower thighs as his other supported her upper body. He walked out of the ward and successfully managed to sneak out to the garden after buying food at the cafeteria without getting caught by a few familiar staff.

Donghyuck settled her down on the bench before sitting down beside her.

"Hey, Sun?"

"Yes, Hyuck?" she gulped, the same hit of anxiety making her fidget with the sandwich wrapper.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

Misun felt her heart ramming against her ribcage. This was it- the moment she was waiting for... but why did she feel sad instead?

Tears trickled down her cheeks again making Donghyuck pull her close. "Will you, Sun?"

"Of course I will." she shut her eyes tight, doing her best to suppress her tears.

"Thank you, Sun."

"For what?" she tilted her head as Donghyuck wiped her tears away with his handkerchief.

"For giving me hope again."

"W-What do you even mean by that?"

Donghyuck grabbed her hand and let their fingers intertwine with each other. "Before we met... I honestly didn't care anymore. I always skipped my therapies and told them to just leave me be... I was going to die anyway- but then I saw you..."

"You don't know how much it pained me when they told me my limit was almost up. I wanted to stay longer... to be with you longer, to love you longer, and to marry you."

"But- I- I can't. Sun, I feel like shit. I'm so sorry- I don't want to leave you too. I want to live, Sun. I want to be with you until death do us part."

By now, both of them cried, holding each other tightly close, not wanting to let go.

Donghyuck cupped her face and dipped down, catching her lips into his. Misun kissed him back slowly. It was simple and soft yet full of emotion.

He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and let her head rest onto his shoulder.

"You're tired, Sun," he whispered once the girl drifted to sleep.

"Lean on me... while you still can."

• • •