10|A Wildfire

New character alert- Pulvit: Dipankar's bodyguard.

|CHAPTER - 10 |

***

A greasy swirl of reddish-black smoke greeted Riya as she ran past people holding her skirt with both of her hands. The loud shrieks and heavy wails of the crowd tensed her heart, even more, she has never witnessed a forest fire but this scene of brightly burning trees and breath-stopping smoke was indeed scary but the thought that Raghuveer was trapped in there was forcing her feet to run into the fire without looking back. 

However her desperate run came to a temporary halt as she noticed that this part of the forest through which the race track passes was completely engulfed in fire, her eyes brimmed up tears as she heard painful screams from inside the fire-caught forest making Riya rush inside, but right before she could step inside a firm hand caught her arm pulling her behind. Riya forcefully elbowed that hand away trying to jump inside the forest to save Raghuveer, but this time that hand swirled around her waist, pressing her back to his front forcefully. 

“Are you stupid? Why are you going there!” Raghuveer screamed on top of his lungs as he caged Riya in his arms. 

And the second her brain registered Raghuveer's angry voice, Riya turned around in a state of stupor facing him. Her racing heart calmed down as she quickly grabbed his face in her palms as she examined it for any wounds. 

“Yo-you are safe.” Her question came out as a statement and tears flowed down her face, without a second thought her hands went around his torso as she embraced in a warm and breath squeezing hug. And Raghuveer was caught off guard by this reaction, making him stand rooted in his place. This was the first time a woman had ever hugged him, his hands remained to his sides as he looked at her who kept sobbing on his chest. 

Riya is crying, but importantly for him. But why? Raghuveer never hugged people, he always made sure to maintain his distance but this time he couldn't help, voluntarily one of his hands rounded around her waist pulling her close, as the other hand patted her back trying to console her. But after a few seconds, she stopped her cries as she frustratedly looked up through her wet eyes, "Why are you hitting me?" 

"W-what!" Raghuveer couldn't help as he uttered that word in disbelief, here he was trying to console her and she is thinking he was hitting her? 

He uncomfortably clears his voice as he spoke, "I was patting your back to console you, woman." 

For a few seconds, her face revealed no emotions but soon she nodded her head as if she understood. Riya slowly pulled his hand which was on her back and placed it on her head saying, "Pat my head then." Saying she placed her head back on his chest as she snuggled closer to him. 

And Raghuveer's cheeks burned red as he felt her snuggle up to him, "You are no more crying, so getaway-" 

"Ahh-" Riya started fake crying, as loudly as possible and unable to bear her ugly action Raghuveer knocked her hard and pulled himself away from her. 

"Ouch! You didn't have to hit me that hard, Veeru." Riya rubbed her head as she complained, wiping her stained tears and from afar Dhruvan came running towards them. 

"Rajkumar Ji! Are you fine?" Dhruvan asked nervously as he stood in front of his master fiddling his fingers. 

"I am okay, we were able to survive before the fire broke out." Raghuveer dusted his soiled kurta arms as his eyes darted towards the forest where royal soldiers were trying to put off the fire. Raghuveer’s eyes narrowed in suspicion as he observed their work, who were trying to extinguish the fire. They had sacks of sand and drums of water ready with them as if they were aware that this accident would happen.