26| A Dark Night

With every small step she took forward, an unmovable weight settled heavy on her heart thinking about the uncertainty of his feelings as fear feasted on her soul. The gloomy atmosphere didn't do any better, the dark night and heavy rain-filled clouds just added up to her murky mood. The faint smell of the flowering plants greeted her as she passed by the courtyard once again reminding her of Raghuveer, he adores these senseless plants a way too much that now even she has developed a special liking towards them but the unfamiliarity of the lightless, silent house affected her already sulking mood. 

Has Raghuveer not returned yet?  Observing there being no traces of any soldiers or guards around the house she was forced to conclude that he hasn't returned, yet. Maybe, she can utilise this time to rehearse the dialogues she wishes to say without letting him know of what the old sage has said. Will it ever be wise to let him know that she has a way back to reach her house?

With havoc of depressing thoughts, her brain almost felt numb and Riya walked heavily tried with the day's events. If only she could see Raghuveer's face and go to bed, it will the best sleep she might ever have. However, her weary walk came to a halt hearing a deep male voice, making her head raise at an unimaginable speed startling the other person.

He stood by the porch of the house and it was almost impossible to see his features with a small light emitting from the entrance for the house.

"Riya?"

Almost immediately her shoulders fell hearing the voice, all the excitement leaving her soul. It was Jaidev, Raghuveer's friend. The shadow of his tall frame almost deluded her wishing it was the prince.

What was he doing here instead of Raghuveer? Maybe, his father's poor health was forcing him to stay at the palace. 

"Where have you been? I was just wondering if I might have to launch a search party-"

"I was with Physician Vishwanath, visiting their Aashram." She spoke slowly, those words tasting bitter in her mouth being reminded of the conversation she had with the old sage.

He didn't seem to believe her, his face held a sceptical look as if he was disappointed which made Riya boil with anger. His look bothered her more than anything, why is he to give her such a disappointed look! 

Riya cast him a narrowed look which in return earned her a small flush on his cheeks as he gave out a small embarrassing smile.

Jaidev smiles fiddling with his hands as he spoke, "It's just that, Raghuveer happened to mention that you dislike the Physician so I was just curious as in why would you ever leave with him. I was extremely worried to not find you here at this late in the evening, I apologise if I caused you any discomfort through my actions."

The sudden politeness caught her off guard. His apologising tone reminded her of the weariness she was feeling.

"It's alright, I am feeling a little sleepy so I require some immediate rest."

Well, she indirectly hinted him to leave this place so that she could rest and prepare a speech to have with Raghuveer.

She will confess. She can't have her feelings bottled up and later on regret about being unable to express her feelings for him.

"About that," Jaidev hesitated as he steps down standing in front of her, he stood just a few feet apart making her a bit uncomfortable, "Raghuveer is planning on staying at the palace for time being. The king's health is declining, and at such a point if Raghuveer gives up and leaves the palace he might never get his rightful position at the palace."

Riya held her breath as Jaidev spoke. Fantastic, now she might have to wait for another day to see that great prince.

"How long? A day or two?" Riya asked, her voice sounding on edge of a breakdown. Even those two days sounded too long to stay apart.