24| An Endless day

I am so sorry about this late update. I literally had a lot going on, exams, a cousins wedding, city floods and a writer's block for an unknown reason though I know what to write.

Anyways, happy reading❤

***

Desperate wails of the palace women could be heard from far and Raghuveer had a sudden urge to protect his ears from these screeching wails, oh how he hates to hear women cry. The large corridor through which they were walking has tall and spectacularly crafted pillars. The closer Raghuveer walked inside the palace, the stronger those desperate wails of the palace women could be heard. Of course, every woman in this palace happens to be his father's concubines irrespective of their status, rank or age.

This part of the place receives the first rays of the sun and just to magnify the beauty, tiny bits of mirrors were studded in them and when the sun rays hit this part, an unavoidable illusion of a heavenly brightness is created, almost shining brighter than the sun.

Just to intensify the beauty of this place pink lotus was decorated around them. Though these flowers were found in remote areas of the empire, they would always appear every morning without fail. Queen Anasuya loved these flowers, when the king couldn't give his wife his heart, he gave her the power to rule the palace instead.

The closer he got towards his father's chambers the louder got the cries of woman, the strong smell of flowers made him rub his nose. Somehow Raghuveer's lips curved into a smile and his eyebrows shot with amusement seeing a group of young women stand by the emperor's chamber clinging on the wall bawling their eyes out as they furiously wiped each other's tears consoling themselves. Their sorrow wasn't for the dying king rather for their fate if he dies.

Once again, a deep wave of disappointment rushed through him. What did his father gain by taking so many concubines? Not even one woman felt sympathetic for him.

The king's chambers is once again a major talk of the empire apart from the lovely corridors. His large bed was made of gold, as in, the bed poles were blocks of pure gold, and on that lavish bed lies his father, the emperor of this nation whispering something in low voice to his first son, Dipankar.

His eyes drooping every second as he forced himself to stay awake and talk with his son. Till now, Raghuveer did not care about his father's health but now that he saw his father, he couldn't help but feel some unknown pain in his heart observing the pale face and red eyes of the king.

A small group of ministers bowed their heads acknowledging his presence and queen Anasuya who elegantly stood by the emperor's huge bed averted her gaze to him and then signalled all the ministers to take their leave. Her face was expressionless, either she didn't care about her husband's illness or she was an expert in masking her feelings.

When the chambers were void of any minister or a servant, Anasuya made her way to Raghuveer and for the first time, he could identify tiredness on her face.

"Raghuveer, let us continue to wait outside and provide your father and the crown prince some space." Speaking in a low, soft voice she walked away and the heaviness in her voice didn't go unnoticed by Raghuveer. Casting one last look at his father he stepped outside only to a see a fuming queen.

The bawling concubines of her husband were the cause of immediate snap of her mood.

"If you don't shut your mouths this second, I will make sure to sew your mouths shut."

Just like that, hearing the queen's fuming voice all the concubines pressed their lips together.

"Leave," Anasuya ordered in a gruff voice and the eerie authority in her eyes made them fled from there holding their skirts.