Chapter 16

"Sweetheart."

I looked up as Lucas stepped into the office. I'd made it through the morning reports and was about to go make myself a cup of tea, so his timing was perfect.

"Hey," I smiled. "What's up?"

He bit his bottom lip, and I knew that I wouldn't like whatever he was about to tell me. He usually hesitated when he had something unpleasant to tell me, and by the way he was gnawing at his lip it was something big.

I pushed back from the desk and shuffled my feet on the carpet. "You're going out on patrol, aren't you?" My stomach fluttered before dropping. My mate—the alpha—would not take a responsibility like this lightly. If he went out, he'd be thorough as heck and them some. He could be gone for a week, maybe longer.

"Karina, please understand—"

"I understand, Lucas." I rose to my feet and met his gaze. "I don't like it, but at least I understand. You feel that you have to do more... for me, for us. You want to make sure that every lead is being followed. You want answers as much as I do, so you are going to look for them yourself."

He ran his fingers through his hair and huffed a breath. "You know me so well. On the one hand, I'm glad because I don't have to explain myself. On the other hand, I feel guilty because I know you won't try to stop me."

I drew a deep breath as tears pricked the back of my eyes. Of course there was no stopping him. He was dedicated and driven; it was one of the things I loved most about him. If there was the slightest chance to do something more, he'd jump on it. He would see this trouble through to the end. If I told him now, he wouldn't go out but he'd be wishing he had. I couldn't hold him back.

I swallowed hard and shuffled around the desk. "I couldn't stop you even if I wanted to," I choked out. "I'll just have to love you to let you go."

He stepped up to me and cupped my face in his hands. His eyes soon mirrored mine with tears. For a minute, we just looked at each other. He finally braved a smile and pressed his lips to my forehead.

"I will only be gone for as long as necessary," he promised. "The moment that I have anything solid, I will be running back to you."

"I know you will." I curled into him and tucked my head under his chin. "Just come back to me in one piece, yeah?"

His chuckle vibrated against my cheek. "No promises."

#

Two weeks... It's been two weeks since Lucas left on patrol. I missed him like crazy, but I kept myself busy enough to prevent any moping. Being luna without the alpha was far more work than I'd expected but not more than I could handle. Lucas' team—at least those who'd stayed behind—provided all the help I could need, and they would stave off any incoming tasks if I needed a break.

Since they had no idea I was pregnant, I appreciated their insightful thoughtfulness even more.

Sitting at Lucas' big oak desk, I signed a territory departure request for someone wanting to visit family in another pack. Setting that form in the letter tray, I pushed back from the desk and rubbed my temples. I could work longer, but I didn't trust my decision-making abilities. After so many hours at the desk, all requests started to blur together. For the moment, I was at the end of my capabilities. How Lucas could spend days at this desk, making important decisions at all hours, was beyond me. He was raised for tasks like this, whereas I was trained for quick decisions in the field.

"Luna?" Kellen approached the desk with a steaming mug. "The kitchen made some tea for you."

I smiled and accepted the mug with both hands. "You all seem so in tune with my every need. Am I speaking over the mindlink without knowing it?"