Chapter 34

Karina

I shuddered as Amy bucked against her barrier. She was fighting more than she ever had before. Liesel was right: Amy would always protect herself, and there was little I could do.

"Liesel..." I groaned, clenching my teeth. "I... can't..."

My faithful witch swooped in as I hunched forward. The pounding in my head and chest was only getting worse, which meant we had limited time to act.

"Stay with me, Karina," she crooned, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. "This is what we discussed. Amy is out of control, and I need to put her down. In order for me to do that without hurting you, you need to surrender control. This will only work if you are willing."

I glanced around. "Lucas?"

Liesel shook her head. "I sent for him, but he won't get here in time. I'm sorry, but we need to do this now. You trust me, right?"

I met her gaze, seeing a watery version through the tears that sprang up. She showed all of the courage I needed, all the fortitude I lacked, all the resolve I wanted. She knew what she was doing.

So I nodded. "Yes. I trust you."

She tightened her grip around my shoulders. "This will all be over before you know it. And your mate's face will be the first thing you see when you come back."

I blinked, sending a couple tears running down my cheeks. "Tell Lucas I love him."

"I will not tell him," Liesel announced, "because you're going to tell him yourself. Now... it's time. Let Amy have control and trust me to bring you back."

I drew a deep breath and closed my eyes. Like sinking underwater, I slipped away from the mental surface of my body. A flash of something ripped through me as Amy launched into control. I saw nothing... felt nothing... as I slipped deeper into myself. Anything to survive and protect my unborn child.

Liesel

Liesel held her breath as Karina surrendered control. The changeover could be the quickest but most dangerous part of the whole plan. If she had even the slightest hesitation, she would be killed along with the guardian.

Just as her body began to slump from her lack of control, the guardian jumped into control. Her eyes snapped open, and the sight made Liesel swallow hard. The glazed white eyes wasn't a good look on anyone.

"What have you done?" the guardian screeched.

"...nothing you haven't earned," Liesel hissed. "You promised that you wouldn't try to overpower or go against Karina. I told you what would happen if you acted against her."

Amy flinched as she adjusted to having full control of her host's body. The power urge had definitely claimed her, and it was only a matter of time before she lost complete control. When that happened...history would repeat.

"Amy... don't you dare hurt Karina."

"You think I want to?" Amy shrieked, clenching her fists. "You've been torturing me... slowly killing me!"

There it was, the hidden lie that would spark the fuse and blow the whole plan. Some genetic link had enabled her to listen to other guardians. Liesel knew that they were a power-hungry, manipulative bunch, but this was something not even the witches knew about. And if the witches didn't know...

"I'm not killing you, Amy. My magic has not touched you unless you've fought against it."

Amy lunged forward, hands reaching for something to grab. "Liar!"

Liesel easily sidestepped the attack, even sticking out her foot to trip her attacker. "Am I? Think for a second, Amy."

Amy's frustrated growl was not the hoped-for answer. With a flick of her hand, Liesel tossed Amy to the ground as gently as possible. "Amy... You promised Karina that I could intervene if you made a power move. The harder you fight, the worse this gets for you."