Chapter 28

What are you planning to do to me?

I flinched awake as Amy's voice echoed in my mind. Although, when I opened my eyes, I didn't see my room. I didn't even appear to be in my room anymore. It was this empty neutral space.

"What is this, Amy? Where are we?"

That's what you're going to focus on? she shot back. We need to talk about the witch and her spell that has trapped me!

I ignored her jab and turned to the matter at hand. "You agreed to do whatever was necessary to protect me. If you are truly my ally and have my protection at heart, there shouldn't be a problem."

You have no idea what she did to me, she whimpered. It was so painful!

"You can feel pain?" I hadn't considered that factor. If she could feel her own pain, what else could she experience?

Yes, I can. And what that witch did... What did she do?

I drew a deep breath. "She put a boundary between me and my baby so you can't switch between us. You're stuck with me."

She was silent for quite awhile, probably thinking everything through. Truly, I doubt either of us understood the full implications of Liesel's boundary. I could only hope that she would take it all in good stride. This would be the moment when her truest colors would start to show.

I don't know why I'm so upset about it, she murmured. I don't know why I feel like I've been betrayed. I'm here to protect you, so...

I took another deep breath, taking in that statement. She wasn't fighting what was happening at least. There was half a step in the right direction. We had room to figure this out, but we needed to get one thing straight right now.

"Amy... Do you promise that you'll never try to overpower me?"

Again, she was silent for quite awhile. I kept telling myself that while Liesel was on my side, I had the upper hand. Somehow that wasn't overly reassuring.

Finally, she answered. I can promise that I will never intentionally try to overpower you. I'm discovering that there's a... darkness in me—possibly a gene trait from my ancestors—that is making things difficult. As long as I am totally in control of myself, I promise that I will never try to overpower you.

I swallowed hard. "And if you lose control?"

A tingle warmed my chest as she found resolution within herself. Then you have my permission to do whatever is necessary to take me out. I won't let my darkness hurt you.

I closed my eyes. "Thank you."

Something solid and warm tightened around my waist. "Thank you for what?" a deeper, delicious voice rumbled against my ear.

When I opened my eyes, Lucas was staring at me with glazed, sleepy eyes. We were tucked all snug in our bed, nestled against each other like we were every night. He rubbed his thumb over my ribs, the movement sending tingles though my veins.

"I was thanking Amy," I explained. "She met me in the dream stage of sleep, and she promised me that she would never intentionally try to overpower me. And she also gave me permission to do whatever was necessary to take her out if she lost control."

Lucas nodded slowly. "Let's hope it never comes to that."

I snuggled closer, pressing my cheek to his chest. "Indeed."