2

In the ensuing weeks, Lisa strove to be noticed by Jisoo. Though she didn't care one bit for improving herself for purpose of ensnaring a husband, she did all that she could to excel in whatever endeavour Jisoo set to her, whether it was needlework, dancing, or the reading of poetry— all of which she hated in equal measure.

Dance lessons were particularly tedious. Jisoo's focus invariably centred on the girls who required the most coaching, while Lisa's focus was on her derrière, admiring how the ruffles and pleats of her skirts fell over her rump, enhancing its shape. It never occurred to her that the ballroom was lined with mirrors, and that Jisoo could quite easily see where her attentions were fixed. And it certainly never occurred to her that she might like it.

Proficient in many forms of dance, including the polka, the schottische, and the waltz, Jisoo always led, and she seemed perfectly at ease in the role. Persistent but unsubstantiated rumours that she also knew how to cancan— a scandalous talent no doubt learnt in Paris— were repeatedly brushed off with a good-natured laugh, but Lisa believed every word and had no difficulty imagining it. Indeed, those tantalizing daydreams significantly alleviated the monotony of watching her peers fumble all over the ballroom.

"Look at me, not at your feet," Jisoo reminded the hopelessly clumsy girl in her arms, frustration seeping into her voice. "It's unattractive."

When the girl finally did succeed in keeping her head up, everything else fell apart. She stepped forward when she ought to have stepped back, bumped Jisoo's chest, trampled one of her boots underfoot, and trod hard on her toe.

"You really do have the most dreadful coordination," Jisoo grumbled, calling an abrupt halt to the dance. "It's a wonder to me that you haven't yet caused someone an injury."

She looked over the rest of the group, making her next selection, and Lisa's heart thrummed when their eyes met.

"Your turn." Jisoo bent forward and held her hand out, playing the role of the gentleman. "Will you favour me with your hand for this dance?"

Gladly! Oh, so gladly, Lisa thought as the rest of the world melted away and Jisoo drew her to the middle of the ballroom floor.

"You've been watching me closely, I hope." Jisoo led them in a waltz. "You always do."

Determined not to err as the previous girl had done, Lisa fixed her eyes upon Jisoo's. She wouldn't look down— not even for a second— but Jisoo did. Her gaze broke away for a moment and dropped to Lisa's lips. Her lips! She corrected the mistake immediately, but not without a slight blush colouring her cheeks.

Lisa had never been kissed, but she'd read about it in books. Always, there seemed to be the moment before the kiss where one looked to the other's mouth, as if in contemplation of intimacy. Did Jisoo want to kiss her? Lisa chastised herself for the foolish thought as soon as it fluttered into her mind and concentrated instead on her steps. She'd been taught to dance, but was mechanical about the operation. Emotionless. Dispassionate.

"You're too stiff." Jisoo took her by the shoulders and gave her a little shake, loosening her up. "Dancing is a prelude, yes? Good dancers make good lovers."

Giggles erupted at the sidelines.

Ignoring them, Jisoo slid her hand onto Lisa's lower back, resting it above her rump. "Our bodies must work together, as though we were—" She stopped herself and lowered her voice. "More intimately entwined." She took Lisa's hand in hers and coached her. "Your movements must be sympathetic to mine. Feel the motion of my body and respond accordingly."

Lisa had no trouble at all with that. What she had considerable difficulty with was remaining at an appropriate distance. When Jisoo took a strong step forward, she took a small step back, relaxing her elbows so that Jisoo was drawn incrementally closer.

"You're standing much too near," Jisoo warned as their bosoms brushed together. "If you're not careful, we shall soon be in a full embrace." She separated their bodies, enforcing propriety, and they continued to waltz.

Throughout, Lisa's head swirled, her nostrils filled with the scent of Jisoo's exotic French perfume. Her palm grew clammy in Jisoo's hand, though it was only grasped softly, Jisoo's touch feather light. Her breathing grew heavy. She became dizzy, stumbled over her own feet, and crumpled against Jisoo's chest, saved from plummeting to the parquet floor only by Jisoo's quick action.

"That's enough for today." Jisoo took hold of her waist, keeping her upright. "Who's for some tea and biscuits?"

------

A/N: imagining French Jisoo now...