Chapter Three

David plopped down on his mattress, face beaming with a victorious shit-eating, as Simon calls it, grin.

Today's episode was terrific, given that there were more performances with more no's than yesses, furious auditioners, yet David found it refreshing. Callista was back at her usual position, in the middle, and just having her there made David thrice more energetic than he usually is, which was saying something.

The crowd welcomed Callista warmly and to be honest, it appears that the lot of them feels the same way as he does.

Callie would address him from time to time, cracking a few jokes. David would throw one back and openly flirt with her to which the youngest judge would shake her head off with a small smile.

At least, he's getting somewhere with this plan of his. Albeit, Callie seems to be very skeptic about David's otherworldly actions, she didn't question and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

His phone buzzed on his nightstand. Picking it up, he opened it and revealed a text from Simon.

Monday, 6:04 pm.

How did it go? You better did it because it wasn't easy taming Alesha and Amanda in the car earlier.

He guffawed before his fingers hovered on the screen.

Monday, 6:04 pm.

I got a date.

His phone instantly dinged and David could vividly see Simon's surprised face.

Monday, 6:05 pm.

Are you serious? That was quick. Where are you off to?

Monday, 6:07 pm.

Well, it isn't exactly a date. I just told her that I wanted to make it up to her after my dick move. So, yeah, she offered if I could come with her some day this week.

Monday, 6:10 pm.

Rubbish. Do good this time, David. Don't ruin this chance.

"I won't." He promised before opting to have a warm bath and start on his new novel.

•••

"I don't get him. One day, he's cold and the next he goes on being goody-two-shoes. What the hell is wrong with him? I thought he didn't want to be friends with me. Now, look at him! What's he playing at?" Callista rambled, combing her hair with her fingers, clearly agitated.

Cleopatra blinked her large blue eyes up at her, tilting her head.

Callista's bottom lip jutted. "He's unpredictable, Cleo. I don't know what his intentions are."

The white feline meowed at her owner.

Callie sighed and kneeled down, hoisting Cleo up as she sat on her bed.

"Things are so much easier when you're a cat." She whispered.

Cleo, clearly sensing her owner's glumness, licked her right thumb.

Callie brought Cleo close to her and the cat purred, pleased with Callie's body heat.

"But I still love him, you know. I can't resist him, I really thought I could move on but I-I can't." Callie muttered. "What's much worse is pretending the night at the airport never happened."