Chapter Nine

"David!"

He snapped out of his trance and turned to Jacob, his editor. The man kept rambling for the past hour and David was out of it, disregarding the totting man. It was futile concentrating in the meeting for his mind would wander elsewhere.

"I'd appreciate if you spare us a second or two in this matter, this is your book after all." Jacob deadpanned, sliding him a disgruntled look.

David smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, go on."

Jacob sighed deeply before turning on his laptop, showing sales and most of the kids' preferred genres. It wasn't a hassle and David rarely uses this for at the end of the day, it was his ideas that mattered. But Jacob insisted on knowing the pros and cons, since the issue was brought up weeks ago about David's books as 'not-so-child-friendly'. He brought up his lawyers and settled the issue. It took nearly took three months for the case to close, and David's team became more cautious as to not create another dilemma that might put David's career at risk, again.

"I've been thinking." David cut through Jacob's presentation, voice grave. He had a distant look in his irises and Jacob glance at the other people present in the room and nodded.

"What do you have in mind, Walliams?"

David gave it a thought. Well, actually, he had given it numerous thoughts but he wondered if Jacob would approve.

"I was thinking of making something different."

Jacob raised his brow in question and crossed his arms. "If you're doing a different genre, make it more enticing for the kids. You've already tested almost all of it."

David leaned in his chair and pursed his lips.

"That's just it, I don't want to make children's book. I want to do adult themes."

Silence.

"Beg your pardon?"

"You heard me." David answered tightly. "I want to do something different."

Jacob gave a humorless laugh. "No, Walliams. I heard you the first time. My reply, obviously, is what the bloody fuck are you on?"

David tried not to flinch. Jacob can be frightening in some occasions and this was one of them. But he was determined to make it happen, it wasn't because he'll give up on writing children's books. David just wanted something different for a change.

"My decision is final, Jacob. Regardless if you'll agree or not." He finalized before standing up, gathering his blazer and case.

"Have a good day." He gave a small smile and bid his farewell, exiting the room with thick tension.

•••

"How did your day go, Dave?"

He groaned and loosened his tie, collapsing completely on the sofa.

"Tedious. Yours?"

Callista frowned as she set aside the freshly cooked pasta on the kitchen aisle and went to where David was, garbed in her apron still.

She sighed and carefully lifted David's head and placing on her lap. She softly caressed his scalp, to which he absolutely adores judging from the sigh that escaped his nostrils.

"Wanna talk about it?" She offers softly.

"You didn't tell me how your day went." He opposed, poking her chin.

Callista smiled. "My day doesn't matter. I can tell you another time. What's more important is you, so?"

He'd marry this girl in an instant if he could.