6. A Gift

Author's Notes:

Hello, I'm back with another chapter!

[ph] = preferred honorific

[pn] = preferred noun

[ppr] = preferred pronoun

---

It has been a couple of days since the snowy haired man had talked to you. The sunlight barely glossed over the tops of the large glass buildings. You were shifting around in bed, trying to get into a position that would take the pressure off of your abdomen. The nurses would refill your pain medication every few hours to alleviate the pain, but it was the last thirty minutes of the medication's subsiding effects that were extremely excruciating.

It was a bummer being stuck in bed and being unable to do anything. You could have been exploring Anima City, but of course you were here. Sighing, you looked towards the window where you could see the migration birds make their rounds through the skyscrapers. This helped you maintain your sanity, as your only other source of entertainment were the meals that the nurses brought in: chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry flavored soylent. Now if only hospitals allowed the windows to be open: you would be able to finally hear something else besides yourself all of the time.

You heard the faint sound of footsteps from afar. Oh thank goodness the nurses decided to refill your medication early. It wasn't like you enjoyed swallowing these largely difficult pills; no you weren't a fan at all, but the ibuprofen was very much appreciated for pain management.

The footsteps finally stopped at the door. A knock. Then, the footsteps continued again. How strange: that wasn't the nurses' usual greeting. You squinted into the darkness, trying to make out the figure. As he stepped out of the shadows and into the dawn's light, you finally recognized him.

"It's you."

You smiled as he approached closer and closer to the bed. Maybe he wasn't the nurse, but he was company. And that was something that you craved.

Your smile quickly turned into a grimace as you propped yourself higher against the pillows. Okay, on second thought, company and nurses would be nice to have right now. Still, you were confused about the reason why he would have gone through the lengths that he did to come back here. You weren't expecting him to come back. Plus, you had no idea why he was originally in your room a few days ago. Did you manage to somehow hurt him between the time that you were attacked and now? After all, who promises to return with such a lavish item upon their first encounter with anyone? Let alone a stranger?

The man pulled out a box from one of the pockets in his trench coat.

The box, which was a simple white one wrapped with twine, was then placed onto your lap. You were at a loss. Did he really get you a new phone? Were you supposed to open this? Was this really for you?

"Aren't you going to open it?"

"Ah, I will一 I was just... shocked by all of this."

Flustered, you mumbled a 'sorry' before gingerly picking up the gift. You took one of the ends of the bow and pulled at it. While you were unwrapping the box, the man surveyed your face. You lifted the lid of the box, revealing the dark chrome colored phone. Your eyes widened: as this was the latest version of the phone you once had. You ogled at it, before looking back at the man.

"Are you sure this is really for me?"

All of a sudden, everything felt a little surreal. You couldn't believe that you were looking at a new phone. You couldn't believe that you lost your old one. You couldn't believe that he was here.