19. Stay

Author's notes:

[ph] = preferred honorific

[pn] = preferred noun

[ppr] = preferred pronoun

Optional music to listen to while reading: youtube.com/watch?v=-jXcnlq_yNA

---

You tucked the oversized shirt into your pants as the two of you made your way towards city hall. Then you shifted your belt around to adjust for the newly crammed folds of fabric. Despite your efforts, there were still parts of the shirt that spilled out from the waistline.

You groaned as one of the shirt's ends slipped out while you were walking,

"This is... cumbersome."

Shirou rolled his eyes, "Would you rather walk with nothing on?"

You opened your mouth to form a wide 'O',

"N-no, nooo, not what I meant!"

"Deal with it then," he curtly responded.

"Ugh..."

You slapped yourself in the face. You dragged the thin of your flesh until your hand covered the entirety of your mouth.

"You're being very sassy this morning," you muttered.

"And you can barely hold yourself together."

You scoffed; you withheld yourself from making any further remarks to save yourself from an onslaught of Shirou's tirades. As usual, he was snarky and saved no formalities between the two of you.

You looked towards the ground.

At the same time, he was also一 you couldn't quite put a word to it yet,

off?

After this morning's earlier incident, you were further perplexed by Shirou's nature. What you didn't expect, when you were brought into his room, were the black shirts and slacks that filled the closet to the brim. How many of the same clothes could one person own?

On the top shelf was a seemingly lifetime supply of pants that were folded so neatly that they looked like books turned on their side. And all along the rack below were his shirts, which were evenly spaced apart and hung on white plastic hangers. He told you to pick whichever one you wanted: as if you could discern one shirt from the other.

Strange.

But even stranger was him insisting on helping you get dressed. He had done plenty enough to help you out this morning. You might've burned holes into your cheeks just by how flustered you were. So, you opted to take the clothes to an adjacent room to change into.

You continued to walk, glancing down every once in a while to make sure you didn't trip over yourself. His shoes left plenty of room in the toe area. Not even your thick socks helped.

"Don't be slow."

"H-huh?"

"The lines are long."

"I'm walking, I'm walking!" you reassured him with a wave.

Besides, it wasn't like you had planned to leave the hospital anytime soon... At least, not until Shirou randomly decided that it was time for you to go. You were just getting used to roaming around freely again.

You rubbed your neck, staring at the figurine of a wolf that stood on top of a marble building in the distance.

--

You were standing in one of five lines leading to the service desks. Luckily for you, there weren't that many people in front of you. A mother and her child. A man in a purple beanie. An elderly gentleman with a cane.