9. Burger Kitty

Author's Notes:

I uh, stalled with this one because every time I try to finish it I end up falling asleep. ^^;;

[ph] = preferred honorific

[pn] = preferred noun

[ppr] = preferred pronoun 

---

It started off with a simple question from Shirou.

'What do you want to eat?'

You pressed him for better clarity.

'What do you mean?'

You told him that the hospital already provided you meals. There really wasn't a choice in what you wanted to eat. The real question should be, 'what were you going to eat'. Breakfast was milk, fruit, and cereal. Lunch was a soup or a sandwich. Dinner was stewed fish with pickled vegetables and rice. And if you were really really lucky: desert would be raspberry sherbet.

Although, you would have much preferred it if you had access to the kitchen to cook for yourself. You would have made a hearty shepherd's pie with a gravy accompaniment for the mashed potato layer. That sounded pretty delicious if you didn't say so yourself. Per your previous statement, you mentioned to Shirou that you would make more than plenty for him to try as well.

He studied your face as you continued to babble on, noticing your facial expressions morphing as you got heated or excited about something. Still, the answers that you were giving were not what he was looking for. The two of you kept going back and forth until it got to the point where you mentioned something of curiosity to him.

"Burger Kitty..."

"That's right. Burger Kitty," you chirped back.

The chain that sprouted in Anima City's crevices: Burger Kitty was the number one fast food restaurant that served heart attacks on the daily. 'Have it your way'. What an ominous slogan. Multiple commercials for their restaurant would appear during the middle of the day as you watched the hospital T.V. Shirou wondered why you wanted something so... banal in comparison to the other offerings this city had to offer. Honestly, there really wasn't another reason you could come up with aside from you being convinced by the advertisement you saw at the city terminal. It was just one of the first things that caught your attention as you were on the escalators. Burger Kitty promised more nutrients in the patty! Who was to argue with that?

Nonetheless, Shirou was confused: he expected a bit of a more elaborate response knowing your love for cooking and baking. You told him that if you thought of anything else you'd want to eat, you'd tell him.

"..."

No matter how many times he visited you, he kept jumping to the same conclusion: humans were strange.

--

So here you were, sitting on the hospital bed with a brown paper bag on your lap and a soda cup to your side. You were baffled by the kind gesture. You told him that this was unnecessary to so many degrees, but he said that this was to make up for his initial failure to protect an incoming Anima City resident.

"You would have received your residency card and living arrangement had you been rescued in time."

You knew his pride lied in this city, but you felt that this was overkill. You reminded him that the past was the past: it really wasn't healthy to dwell on something so insignificant.

"You shouldn't be doing this. I mean it! I am thankful, but I only mentioned this once to you, you know."

As you told him to not worry about you, your stomach growled. You squeezed the flesh of your abdomen, trying to suppress the animalistic sounds that were waiting to be spilled by your stomach.