12. That's it?

Author's Notes:

Optional song to listen to in the beginning:

[ph] = preferred honorific

[pn] = preferred noun

[ppr] = preferred pronoun

---

Once your eyes adjusted to the daylight, you focused on the details of the environment. You walked towards the open air, letting the heavy door shut behind you.

"I can't believe this," you murmured to yourself.

You were surrounded by several shades of green and viridescents. The vegetation spanned to the perimeter of the rooftop, as far as your eyes could see. You immediately spotted a plot of basil, tarragon, thyme, and sage. You closed your eyes and deeply inhaled. All sorts of scents inundated your nose, prickling it with delight. Deciphering everything would be impossible from where you were standing so you decided to take a few steps forward. You wobbled. In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea to leave your crutches behind; you were never without them for longer than a few minutes. Come on, you can do this. You whispered some words of encouragement to yourself before moving forward.

There were several plots that were dedicated to a certain set of plants. In one row, there were fruit trees. In another, there were root vegetables. And there were plenty of other rows categorized in a similar fashion. You were impressed. The hospital did a fantastic job at labeling everything: there were even instructions for how many times a plant needs to be watered and how much sunlight it should receive in a day.

So, the secret project that you were looking for was a rooftop garden all along? You spent what, two-ish weeks searching for this?

You weren't too disappointed; after all, this presented an opportunity to come back later and harvest some herbs. For garnishing... of course.

You were slowly walking along the brick path, admiring the hospital's handiwork. Why would the hospital even build something like this? Especially something to this caliber. You had even more questions than ever.

You reached into the pocket of your hospital gown and pulled out your phone. There was only one person who you wanted to reveal your discovery to.

'[2:03PM] Hey, you'll never guess what I found'

You smiled at the screen and put your phone away. You wondered what Shirou would think of all of these plants. Would he be just as overwhelmed as you? Or would he use his wolf senses to sniff out all of the plant varieties that lived up here? You would like to imagine how he sniffed plants in his wolf form.

You took your phone out again to send another message.

'[2:08PM] Do you like smelling plants?'

To think that this garden is sitting above millions of residents who don't even know of its existence— unless they fly over it or land themselves in the hospital.

You stopped again to admire the scenery; you could just sit here all day if they allowed you to.

The click of the door instantly alerted you. You whipped your head around to see who was at the other end of the door. Actually— that was a terrible idea. You swiftly ducked down. You lost your grip halfway down and grasped at the ground in front of you in a feeble attempt to rebalance yourself. Your knees made contact with the floor first. You bit your lip.

This was going to leave a mark for later.

Thankfully, there were plenty of plants to hide you from plain view. You were just sweating minutes ago and now you were oozing with nervousness. Whoever was up here was taking their sweet time. Each time their heel met the floor, your heart dropped further and further into the pit of your stomach. You knew you shouldn't be here right now, and it would suck to get in trouble considering that you still weren't a resident of this city. Maybe there was still time to dive into the shrubs closeby?