A Book(1)

I love rainy days! They lift my soul to the highest extreme. Whenever it rains, I have very little work to do. Usually we end up watching movies or if I'm lucky, Chase will call of work and I get to be alone for three hours. Being alone is probably the greatest reward anyone can give me. From rustling nurses to being under constant watch, I have found myself begging for moments of peace and quiet.

In Econ. Mr. Christian decided to say fuck the lesson and have us watch Hercules. I brought a blanket with me today, just so I could stay warm. So I snuggled into it, pushing myself against the back of the chair to have my feet rise enough so I could lean them on the desk. We were at the part where Megara sings about love. My Disney fanatic self knew every single lyric, singing to my hearts content... but I made sure to remain quiet because if everyone heard me.... I could never show my face again.

Not gonna lie though... this song was soooo good. Probably the best song on Disney! Anyone and everyone could fight me, forever and ever! I freaking love this song.

"You really know this movie," Dominic scooted his seat over, not too close but pretty close. He rested his feet on the desk, copying my pose, "I don't think I have ever seen this movie?"

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I almost shouted, but was able to whisper shout, "This movie is what dreams are made of!"

"Really?" He rubbed his chin, "I thought Peter Pan was much more of a sight than anything else." Rolling my eyes at him, he just chuckled and crossed his arms. We watched the movie but every once in a blue moon, he would scoot over and whisper to me about what he thought or saw. Sometimes we would bicker but every bicker was humorous. At the end of the movie, we were cleaning up our messes and heading to our next class, "Where is your walker?"

"Walker?"

"The guy that follows you around like a puppy," we headed down the hall.

"Oh Chase!" I realized what he was getting at, "He called off work today, so I get three hours of being a alone until I am picked up around 12."

"You get picked up by 12?"

"Not usually," I sighed, "but when I don't have someone looking after me, I have to leave school early. It's a crime to be honest?"

He stopped for a moment, having me stop as well, "A crime?"

I shrugged, "Just something that I feel. Nothing much." We walked down the hall a bit more when someone hit Dominic's shoulder and he dropped his books. He crouched down to pick it up, when I noticed a book with Mysophobia written across it. He collected his things quickly and returned to my side.

"It's not a normal day without some sort of annoyance."

"That book," I gestured to his arms, "isn't that the thing you asked me the first time we met?"

He stared at my face, this hard stern expression covered his smile. Almost like this sensation of anger came from him. I took a step back, him noticing my fear, "It's nothing... a part to my career path."

"Oh," I coughed, hiding my eyes from him, "dedicated you are. You better head off to your next class, the bell is about to ring." I quickly left him. I felt... I felt weird. My mind wasn't right, nor was my feelings.

Being near him wasn't good.

~

"Noah?" Alison's little knock on the door was clear for me to hear. She opened it slightly, coming over to me, "Noah? Are you okay? Are you feel any pain?"

"No," I sighed, "I..." I just stared at the ceiling. Alison placed the clothes she had ready for me on my desk, pulling out the chair to sit. She stayed quiet, waiting for me to tell her what I wanted to do. She waited, patient like a saint. "Do you... why do you come to work everyday Alison?"

"Because it's my job."

"I know that," my chest felt heavy, "but why? Why take up a job where you know I'll be dead soon."

It was the first time I heard her sigh, more like a huff to be exact, "It's not about why I do it Noah, it's about how." She stood up, going over to my curtains and pushing them back so the sun comes through, "When I was little, my oldest brother, David, died from a car accident. My mother fell ill and just couldn't be a mother anymore." She cracked the window open a bit, "So I grew up and took care of my other four siblings. As time continued I grew a bit different than everyone else around me and so did my family." She finished tidying things and took a knee beside my bed, "So what do you say? You can't run from this illness, so are you going to allow it devour you or look it in the face and tell it to screw off?"

Turning my face to see her, I can't help but tear up, "How long do I have now?"

Her face was soft as ever, her eyes even softer. She played with the sheet, her hands gloved, "Does it matter?" I stared at her, meeting her eyes solely. She rose to her feet, smiling at me, "Now it's time to get up or you won't be able to go to school, unless that is what you are striving for?"

"Must you always be so mean in the times I am dwelling in sadness!"

"Then stop dwelling," she huffed, "or I'll stick my foot up somewhere that does not shine!" She left my room so I could get dressed and get some type of life. After looking like a human, I went downstairs to see my meal waiting for me and Alison taking care of dishes. As I took my plastic covered seat, she came over and placed a book that was obviously wrapped in some colored paper, which was wrapped terribly. "After leaving your unmotivated self, I found this lying on the front porch," she smiled at me, "must be a friend of yours."

I opened it up, careful to make sure it didn't rip my glove. The moment I saw the words written across the book, instantly shocked by it. A little dipper in the paper, I found a letter:

"Rome;

Seems you were pretty curious about this book, so I am letting you use it for a while. Make sure you don't crease a page and get it all dirty. Take care of it, it is very important for my studies.

- Dominic"